cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is receiving a secured credit card almost a sure thing? I ask because...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is receiving a secured credit card almost a sure thing? I ask because...

Is being approved for a secured card almost a sure thing? I ask because I was looking at the Wells Fargo secured card info and you have to apply and of course receive their decision. But what could cause one to be turned down for a secured card? I mean, they have your money already, so it's not like you can skip out on them, right? Like, if I walked into Wells Fargo and said I want a secured credit card with a $10,000 limit, and had the $10,000 to deposit, why would they deny it? Thanks for any insight.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is receiving a secured credit card almost a sure thing? I ask because...

@Anonymous wrote:

Is being approved for a secured card almost a sure thing? I ask because I was looking at the Wells Fargo secured card info and you have to apply and of course receive their decision. But what could cause one to be turned down for a secured card? I mean, they have your money already, so it's not like you can skip out on them, right? Like, if I walked into Wells Fargo and said I want a secured credit card with a $10,000 limit, and had the $10,000 to deposit, why would they deny it? Thanks for any insight.

It certainly isn't a guarunteed approval. I don't think any credit card approval is guarunteed. I would imagine it depends on who the credit card is from and what your credit profile looks like. I hear of people that get denied for a secured card all the time. Just a few weeks ago, I got denied for the Bank of America secured credit card.

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's not a sure thing no. I applied and have been turned down for a secured discover. It really doesn't make sense, but am assuming they still have criteria they compare against and certain things would get a denial.  Yes i included them in BK7 discharged 8/2012, so in that specific instance i am assuming they are still mad at me. Most recent attempt was about a year ago.  I think personally there is more of chance to get turned down by the prime card issuers with secured products, as they must have denial criteria.  Just me .02 worth...

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

There are still approval guidelines becuase if you max it out, fees and interest could still put you well over your limit and your security deposit.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fraud alerts and frozen files would cause a turn down.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

If a lender previously incurred a loss from one of your accounts due to charge off, bankruptcy and even settlements this could cause a denial. 

Message 6 of 11
credit_endurance
Valued Contributor

• Amex is known to use the previous months fico Scores when making a request the month prior. It's very confusing to say the least. Just make sure those scores are looking pretty before you make the request (ofcourse) the previous month will be in play.
Starting FICO08 Scores 2016 All in the mid 500’s
Current FICO08 Scores SEP 2023 (TU 834) (EQ 831 (EXP 831)

“The credit is no longer bruised, it has endured the test of time” (formally know as bruisedcredit)

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Fraud alerts and frozen files would cause a turn down.

A FA cannot result in a denial, only the inability to confirm identity on a FA consumer can cause a denial.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ive gotten turned down for CapOne secured card in the past. This was after a layoff and I had an account closed through them. Once I got back on my feet and applied with them again, I got turned down. I didn't think that was possible but I found out that is indeed true.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is not a guaranteed thing. If you burned a bank, they may not let you have a secured card with them for some time. If you have a BK reporting, some banks with not approve until two years after your BK. And as others have said, banks may have out her underwriting criteria that view you as a risk even with a secured card. 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.