cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is removal from the AMEX blacklist possible?

tag
onepointatatime
Contributor

Is removal from the AMEX blacklist possible?

Hello everyone!  I really love this forum.. so far I'm learning a lot and I'm definitely on the road to recovery, thanks to the helpful people of this forum. 

So, here's my situation today that surely someone out there must have experience with:

Of my remaining negative items on my credit reports, I have an AMEX credit card opened in 2007, with a DoFD of 2009.  SOL ran out if they go by my current state (California), or would be 6 years (so they'd have one more year) if they go by the original state of my billing address at the time I opened the card.  The debt is 8K or so (though they list a balance of 9500 for some reason).

I'd very, very much like to become an AMEX client in great standing with them - I have my eyes on the Platinum due to frequent international travel and use of airplanes & airports, combined with my desire to have a card with strong purchase protection for both products and services.  However, I've heard from multiple places on this forum that AMEX maintains a brutal blacklist that goes back decades, on anyone who ever owed them any money.  Although the SOL has either run out or is running out, my gut tells me that I should not approach them with a  low settlement offer as a sign of respect -  since I do, after all, want to become an AMEX customer in good standing again.

So the question - is there anyone out there who has any experience or information about being removed from their blacklist?  My concern is that if I just approach them now to pay off my debt in full, they will be happy that I did so but when I turn around say in 30 days and apply for an AMEX Gold or Platinum, they'll turn me down due to our past ugly history... 

Any information anyone can provide is welcome. Thank you!!

Sep 2013: mid 500s | Sep 2014: myfico: EX 539 | EQ 594 | TU 694 || My Rebuilding Journey
myfico, 12/3/2015: EX 666 | EQ 677 | TU 689 | AAoA : 3y | INQs (12/24) EX 11/13 | EQ 5/9 | TU 4/7
Cards: Chase Sapphire Pref. $6K | BoA Travel Rewards $1.6K | Cap1 QS Rewards $7.5K | Priceline $0.5K | Credit Union $2K | Total (5) Revolving CLs: $17.6K
Goal Score 2015: FICO08 800+
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
NoAnchoviesPlease
Established Contributor

Re: Is removal from the AMEX blacklist possible?

I don't have firsthand experience, but there is a program called Oasis that some people are offered, if they pay off the owed balance. You pay off the balance and they give you a card with a lower credit line, and if you do well with that, things can get better. 

Here's a thread from the forums two years ago about it: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Amex-Optima-Oasis-program/m-p/1193077#M334172 ... search "oasis" for other reports. 

It's not guaranteed that it's available or that you'll be offered the program, but it's worth asking, if you are able to pay the amount owed. It's not a fast path from what I'm reading, but if they go along with it, you can get back into Amex's moderately good graces.

And remember that there's no statute of limitations on owing them the money, even if they can no longer collect on it. 

12/29/2015 669/696/706
01/10/2016 698/711/730 but still to and fro a bit

Climbing to 700 and beyond. It's too cold for gardening.
Message 2 of 6
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

@onepointatatime wrote:

Hello everyone!  I really love this forum.. so far I'm learning a lot and I'm definitely on the road to recovery, thanks to the helpful people of this forum. 

So, here's my situation today that surely someone out there must have experience with:

Of my remaining negative items on my credit reports, I have an AMEX credit card opened in 2007, with a DoFD of 2009.  SOL ran out if they go by my current state (California), or would be 6 years (so they'd have one more year) if they go by the original state of my billing address at the time I opened the card.  The debt is 8K or so (though they list a balance of 9500 for some reason).

I'd very, very much like to become an AMEX client in great standing with them - I have my eyes on the Platinum due to frequent international travel and use of airplanes & airports, combined with my desire to have a card with strong purchase protection for both products and services.  However, I've heard from multiple places on this forum that AMEX maintains a brutal blacklist that goes back decades, on anyone who ever owed them any money.  Although the SOL has either run out or is running out, my gut tells me that I should not approach them with a  low settlement offer as a sign of respect -  since I do, after all, want to become an AMEX customer in good standing again.

So the question - is there anyone out there who has any experience or information about being removed from their blacklist?  My concern is that if I just approach them now to pay off my debt in full, they will be happy that I did so but when I turn around say in 30 days and apply for an AMEX Gold or Platinum, they'll turn me down due to our past ugly history... 

^^^^^

Try getting a card under someone else first (Aurhorized user) and build up a history again (but first pay off what you owe if you truly want to be in their good graces)

Message 3 of 6
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Please do not post duplicate topics in multiple boards.

Thank you~Lexie

Message 4 of 6
onepointatatime
Contributor

Thanks - I'm reading into the Oasis stuff now... I didn't know of the existence of such a thing

@NoAnchoviesPlease wrote:

I don't have firsthand experience, but there is a program called Oasis that some people are offered, if they pay off the owed balance. You pay off the balance and they give you a card with a lower credit line, and if you do well with that, things can get better. 

Here's a thread from the forums two years ago about it: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Amex-Optima-Oasis-program/m-p/1193077#M334172 ... search "oasis" for other reports. 

It's not guaranteed that it's available or that you'll be offered the program, but it's worth asking, if you are able to pay the amount owed. It's not a fast path from what I'm reading, but if they go along with it, you can get back into Amex's moderately good graces.

And remember that there's no statute of limitations on owing them the money, even if they can no longer collect on it. 

Sep 2013: mid 500s | Sep 2014: myfico: EX 539 | EQ 594 | TU 694 || My Rebuilding Journey
myfico, 12/3/2015: EX 666 | EQ 677 | TU 689 | AAoA : 3y | INQs (12/24) EX 11/13 | EQ 5/9 | TU 4/7
Cards: Chase Sapphire Pref. $6K | BoA Travel Rewards $1.6K | Cap1 QS Rewards $7.5K | Priceline $0.5K | Credit Union $2K | Total (5) Revolving CLs: $17.6K
Goal Score 2015: FICO08 800+
Message 5 of 6
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@youdontkillmoney wrote:

@onepointatatime wrote:

^^^^^

Try getting a card under someone else first (Aurhorized user) and build up a history again (but first pay off what you owe if you truly want to be in their good graces)

ACM history will not help with a charge off account.  Also, OP might not even be approved if they are on the blacklist. 

The Oasis program would be a better choice

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.