cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is that "everything else" card really necessary?

tag
yfan
Valued Contributor

Re: Is that "everything else" card really necessary?

@Aahz wrote:

A thick profile with multiple lenders is much more stable should a creditor decide to take AA for whatever reason.

That's true, but the exact same thing can also cause AA. One of the reasons many lenders use for AA is that the borrower is spread too thin over too many cards and the lender is therefore no longer comfortable with their own exposure.

Message 51 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great Topic!

As others have said it depends on your goals. I'm a traveler aND I want to maximize that option. So by having the Freedom and CSP I cover various categories and the Freedom Unlimited is my "everything" else card. It is the exact as the Quicksilver with FTFS. So I can opt for cashback or UR points. My Discover is only for 5%, and honestly it's the card I need the least. Amex is simply for perks.
Message 52 of 57
Aahz
Established Contributor

@yfan wrote:

@Aahz wrote:

A thick profile with multiple lenders is much more stable should a creditor decide to take AA for whatever reason.

That's true, but the exact same thing can also cause AA. One of the reasons many lenders use for AA is that the borrower is spread too thin over too many cards and the lender is therefore no longer comfortable with their own exposure.

Sorry, but a borrower that is "spread too thin over too many cards" would be maxed out or overlimit if they had fewer cards.

Message 53 of 57
yfan
Valued Contributor

@Aahz wrote:

@yfan wrote:

@Aahz wrote:

Sorry, but a borrower that is "spread too thin over too many cards" would be maxed out or overlimit if they had fewer cards.

No. Spread too thin does not necessarily have to do with balances. A creditor may simply decide that the borrower is overexposed - that is, they have too much available credit even if they aren't using any of it - and take AA for that reason.

Message 54 of 57
smith5879
New Contributor

All I know is that I can't remember the last time I didn't have enough cash back when my statement cut to at least get the $25 minimum cash back on my Citi DC card. I've only got 3 other cards and 2 of them are rotating catagory cards so my Citi card gets most spend that isn't for groceries or gas.

April 2014: EX FICO 763 | EQ FICO 760 | TU FICO 721
September 2018: EX FICO 811 | EQ FICO 815 | TU FICO 826

Amex BCP 24.5k | Chase Freedom VS 15k | Citi Double Cash WEMC 25k | Discover It 25.5k
Message 55 of 57
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

I use my QS more than anything, transactions, by far. Just so many things where my other cards don't cover. At 1000 spend a month, save 60 bucks. For a free card, it's a win.

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 56 of 57
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Another consideration that kinda is similar to the.. do you need everything else card... Is.... Having a card with no FTF or pass-through FTF (as many of the govt/mil CU's have)...  No/Low FTF can be as good as having a rewards card... might not be optimal but will save you enough that your virtually getting a percentage reward for using it... even better if it has a reward.. 

Message 57 of 57
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.