cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the AMEX Green card worth a darn these days?

tag
Razeus
Frequent Contributor

Is the AMEX Green card worth a darn these days?

I always admired the card when I was young and my uncle pulled his out.  The green card, the artwork, all iconic. Of course my uncle's AMEX is not today's AMEX, meaning there's probably less prestige associated with the brand (after all, they are in the prepaid debit card business now).  Should I put this card on my radar for the future, or just stick to getting the gold card?

My Wallet:
AMEX Platinum | Discover It $20.3k | Chase Sapphire Reserved $16k | Chase United $12k | AMEX SimplyCash Plus Business $11.6k | AMEX Schwab $9k | AMEX BCEP $8.2k | Citi Costco Anywhere Visa $8k | Chase Amazon Visa $8k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $7k | Chase Freedom $5k | Citi Simplicity $5k | Paypal Extras Platinum $5k | Wells Fargo $5k | Citi Best Buy $4.2k | Citi Visa Signature $3k | Care Credit $3k
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

Re: Is the AMEX Green card worth a darn these days?

I have both goldpr and green and the gold feels/looks more prestigeous to me.
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 2 of 7
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@Razeus wrote:

I always admired the card when I was young and my uncle pulled his out.  The green card, the artwork, all iconic. Of course my uncle's AMEX is not today's AMEX, meaning there's probably less prestige associated with the brand (after all, they are in the prepaid debit card business now).  Should I put this card on my radar for the future, or just stick to getting the gold card?

The only benefit I see with the Green card is that its great in combination with the Zync, it converts MRE points to MR points but if you aren't going to travel a lot probably not worth it. The gold card is becoming pointless in my opionion, the card to look at is the Premier Rewards Gold it has a few reward point multiplier catagories and is only a bit higher AF, if you are in with AMEX allready they usually waive the AF for the first year. 

If you are have plans on getting an AMEX card eventually and your score is over 640 and have 6+ months experience with a major credit card, AP for a Zync card before the end of the year to lock in your member date, then you can AP for the AMEX card you really want in january and get up to 11 months of free backdating goodness for $25. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Razeus wrote:

My two cents...I would say no since they released the Zync. Yes, the Green is the cheapest AF card with MR and not MR express like the Zync. But unless you are charging a great amount through it, it can take a long time for the MR points to accrue which means it will be a long time for you to actually be able to use your MR points for flights. Now, if you are charging a large amount, I think it makes sense to go right for the PR Gold Card and get the extra 15k in points from spending more than 30k through it a year so you get at least 45k MR points vs 30k if you just had the Green card. That doesn't include the travel, groceries, and gas you would put though it to get multiplying points.

Now, if you don't plan on purchasing a ton through the card, the Zync with the lowest AF makes sense. Yes, you only get MR express, but that typically includes everything but being able to transfer the points for travel, but if you aren't accumulating a ton of points anyway, are you really missing out?

When I got my Zync, I was planning on purchasing a lot. We had just gotten a married and bought a home so I knew we would be buying a lot. So, I used my Zync, and then later converted the points by applied for PR Gold (I could have went with Green but figured without the AF I might as well accumulate more points anyway) now that we have enough to transfer for travel. We will transfer the points for a free travel, and then before the AF on the PRG is up, I will cancel it and go back to using my Zync.

To me, I never really saw the point in the Platinum other than to be able to say I have a Plat Amex (in my case). Sure you get airport lounge access, but you could purchase that separately for $400 (for unlimited access, even cheaper if you don't fly that much). The Platinum card really is for the person traveling almost constantly. I really think they should rework the Plat card point benifits at this stage in the game because you are losing the ability to gain multiple points with your spending that you get with the PRG (or even Zync with its packs).

Message 4 of 7
OptimasPrime
Frequent Contributor

@jamesdwi wrote:

@Razeus wrote:

The only benefit I see with the Green card is that its great in combination with the Zync, it converts MRE points to MR points but if you aren't going to travel a lot probably not worth it. The gold card is becoming pointless in my opionion, the card to look at is the Premier Rewards Gold it has a few reward point multiplier catagories and is only a bit higher AF, if you are in with AMEX allready they usually waive the AF for the first year. 

If you are have plans on getting an AMEX card eventually and your score is over 640 and have 6+ months experience with a major credit card, AP for a Zync card before the end of the year to lock in your member date, then you can AP for the AMEX card you really want in january and get up to 11 months of free backdating goodness for $25. 

Good advice normally but you may want to take a look at ops sig. Op already has zync and bce

EQ 778 | TU 776
Barclay US Airways WMC 7.5k | BCE 5.8k | BofA Travel Rewards 9.1k | Chase Marriott Premier 13k | Citi TYP WMC 6.5k | Freedom Visa Sig 8k| Discover it 10k
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been looking at this question a lot lately and I've come the conclusion that the Green Card is a waste of time for almost everyone.  Simply, there are better cards out there now; the Green Card exists almost just as a relic to the past.  From Amex's own lineup you have the PRG, the Starwood Card, and arguably the Zync Card that are better.  Not to mention cards from other lenders, like the Chase Sapphire Preferred, which packs a lot more punch for the same annual fee as the Green.

The Zync card is by far a better choice for the low to moderate spender because they won't accumulate MR points fast enough to overcome the Green's AF.  Not only that, but the Zync can earn MRE points faster with packs and still be cheaper.  Even if a low spender wants to transfer points, he can use the Zync (or Blue) to rack up MRE points for several years then get a Green just before he wants to transfer points and close the Green before the annual fee hits.

If you are a moderate to high spender that would spend enough to benefit enough from the Green to keep it open all the time, you would almost certainly benefit more from the Premier Rewards Gold or the Starwood Card.  The PRG bonus for $30K spend and the multipliers should easily make the PR Gold a better choice than the Green.  Also the Starwood Card has a lower annual fee than Green and earns points that are more useful.  Starwood has more transfer airline partners and the points can also can be quite valuable when just used at their hotels.

Plus you have the Chase Sapphire Preferred, which is just a flat out better card than the Green: no forex, dedicated US customer service, bonus point categories, concierge, no acceptance issues.  If you are thinking about the side benefits like extended warranty, purchase protection, return protection, they are roughly on par with Amex.  It also has price protection, which Amex lacks.  Chase's UR also has some nice transfer partners, arguably better ones.  You can also add a Freedom to the mix and earn 5x points in rotating categories.  All the bonus points can make the CSP even a good deal for moderate spenders who couldn't get enough value from the Green or PRG.

The Green just doesn't make much sense anymore, save for those who've accumulated a lot of MRE points with Zync already or perhaps those who've had the PRG or Platinum and want to keep their MR points.  I'm not sure what I'll be doing with mine when the next annual fee hits.  I'm moving most of my spending to the Sapphire Preferred and Freedom.  I think I might transfer out my points, especially if a nice bonus appears, and keep the card as a Zync for another year.

Message 6 of 7
djrez4
Established Contributor

I went through the same consideration as the OP when I apped for my Amex charge.  I thought about it and figured the extra $30 AF for the Gold over the green would be worth it for the perks like roadside assistance coverage.  Now, I'm wishing I'd gone for the PRG to get the bonus points and signup bonus.  

Even with the PRG, I'm still not sure I need a charge card.  I'm considering dropping the Gold for a BCP and CSP when the fee hits next year.  Between the two of those, I'll have a smaller AF than the PRG, the Chase trifecta, and higher rewards percentages.  I'm not worried about the purchasing power of a charge card and, quite frankly, MR points aren't all that or a bag of chips.  

Other than the prestige of an Amex charge card, which is also waning, I don't really see the point.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.