cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the Amex BCP worth the annual fee?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is the Amex BCP worth the annual fee?

@longtimelurker wrote:

I think the BCP is being a little oversold here!    On $6K of groceries, you net $285 a year.   A 2% card would net $120.   So yes, that $160 a more, but, again IMO, not enough for a huge outpouring of love....   That said, with the current bonus, it becomes more attractive   (And it was among the best cards ever when it was uncapped when it first came out).

But she isn't looking for what card, in general, to apply for. She gave us her spending and what she is interested in. The BCP, in her case, is the best bet. I love my DoubleCash as much as my BCP for other things.

Message 41 of 73
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

I think the BCP is being a little oversold here!    On $6K of groceries, you net $285 a year.   A 2% card would net $120.   So yes, that $160 a more, but, again IMO, not enough for a huge outpouring of love....   That said, with the current bonus, it becomes more attractive   (And it was among the best cards ever when it was uncapped when it first came out).

But she isn't looking for what card, in general, to apply for. She gave us her spending and what she is interested in. The BCP, in her case, is the best bet. I love my DoubleCash as much as my BCP for other things.

My comment wasn't in response to OP, more the replies praising the BCP.

Message 42 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

if you spend at least $36.5(ish) a week on groceries, the card pays for itself over Citi Double Cash (for groceries)... plus you get 3% on gas so that's also a little bit extra over Citi DC

anything over that amount is extra... so pretty much, if you buy groceries, it's worth it... for me, I chose not to get it, fiancee is the one that does our grocery shopping and I only drive about 7 mins to work every day so I'll never personally get any use out of it... but I think this card works wonders for like 95% of people...

Message 43 of 73
KayMD
Valued Member

Well I'm just happy I finished paying Sallie Mae back.

Message 44 of 73
Open123
Super Contributor

longtimelurker wrote:My comment wasn't in response to OP, more the replies praising the BCP.

At least the praise isn't on the BCE...

Message 45 of 73
delaney1
Established Contributor

This is on my list to app for next year. We spend $700 plus a month on groceries, and I do shop at department stores frequently, so I think it will work for us. I wish the 5% limit was a little higher then 6k though lol. I have no problem paying a small fee to save money.

Message 46 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP, you should check to see if Fred Meyers qualifies. I recall a thread a while back that indicated that it didn't.
Message 47 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

@maxq wrote:

The fee is worth having a card that rewards you very nicely imho. If people do comparisons of this card vs. that card vs. other cards then maybe overall certain cards are not for you. Everyone has different spending habits. You have to consider what you will be spending money on within your life. Like others I am on road 2 hours minimum each day 5 days a week so gas rewards are great for me. I do not have kids but I have a girlfriend and 90% of the time we use my BCP for groceries. In my life the rewards pay for my AF no problem.

I don't sweat the timing of the rewards either so that is not an issue for me. I do not budget my life based on when I get the rewards but I do try to be aware of the type of card I use based on the rewards I do get.

I'd love to see a couple sticky threads in credit card forum discussing maximizing your credit card rewards. Maybe have a couple different threads for travel and cash rewards. Sometimes I forget when it comes to category type rewards. That much can get confusing for some of us. But typically I don't worry about that because I have mostly cash reward cards. My toughest battles comes from now the CITIDC vs. CAP1 QS vs. Chase VSFU vs. AMEX BCP and trying to give love to each one lol.

You mean like this one, located under the "Helpful Threads" sticky? Smiley Tongue

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Cash-Back-credit-card-charts/td-p/4004725

Message 48 of 73
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

longtimelurker wrote:My comment wasn't in response to OP, more the replies praising the BCP.

At least the praise isn't on the BCE...

True, but that has legions of supporters here too!

Message 49 of 73
maxq
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@maxq wrote:

The fee is worth having a card that rewards you very nicely imho. If people do comparisons of this card vs. that card vs. other cards then maybe overall certain cards are not for you. Everyone has different spending habits. You have to consider what you will be spending money on within your life. Like others I am on road 2 hours minimum each day 5 days a week so gas rewards are great for me. I do not have kids but I have a girlfriend and 90% of the time we use my BCP for groceries. In my life the rewards pay for my AF no problem.

I don't sweat the timing of the rewards either so that is not an issue for me. I do not budget my life based on when I get the rewards but I do try to be aware of the type of card I use based on the rewards I do get.

I'd love to see a couple sticky threads in credit card forum discussing maximizing your credit card rewards. Maybe have a couple different threads for travel and cash rewards. Sometimes I forget when it comes to category type rewards. That much can get confusing for some of us. But typically I don't worry about that because I have mostly cash reward cards. My toughest battles comes from now the CITIDC vs. CAP1 QS vs. Chase VSFU vs. AMEX BCP and trying to give love to each one lol.

You mean like this one, located under the "Helpful Threads" sticky? Smiley Tongue

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Cash-Back-credit-card-charts/td-p/4004725

Yep thats the one lol. I remembered after I typed that out there was a thread somewhere rofl. I'm trying to multi-task here lol.

Goal of 825+ Gardening since 05/05/2017
Message 50 of 73
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.