Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the BBVA NBA card a scam

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is the BBVA NBA card a scam

We spent $4100 on my wife's $20,000 limit during the promo.She got the card 3 weeks ago. Made 3-4 small purchases totalling about $170 a week before the promo. Haven't used it since Thursday, but all seems ok.

On my card which I've had since April, I only spent about $700 during the promo. I have been using mine all along, had a statement cut,paid over $1000 in payments and did a BT. All ok.

Message 31 of 36
unc0mm0n1
Established Contributor

@Simba501 wrote:

@unc0mm0n1 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Sounds like you rushed to use the card once the promo was announced. From a fraud point of view, any "not within normal spending pattern" activity is going to automatically come up for review. It's their money and they can review the heck out of it, all they want. If the spending is legit and you have the finances to pay it back, it shouldn't be a probmem, right? 

But if the review is blocking further spending until the promo period is over, that is a problem!

Both my WIfe's (13 days) and my friends (8 days) account was magically unlocked the day after the promo ended. We asked for an extension of the promo, they told us to kick rocks. Got to love BBVA!

That's questionable, at best.  Not sure I'd want to do business with them if it happened to me.

Yeah my wife is pissed but not sure what we can do.  Just sucks cause we wanted to buy a pretty expensive grill and two road bikes, total of about 4K and was looking forward to the 5% back. 

Last App March 23, 2015. Gardening until November 25, 2015
Current Score: 766 EX 734 EQ 780 TU 6/30/2015Starting Score/Goal Score: 580s/780s across the board
Message 32 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@unc0mm0n1 wrote:

@Simba501 wrote:

@unc0mm0n1 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Sounds like you rushed to use the card once the promo was announced. From a fraud point of view, any "not within normal spending pattern" activity is going to automatically come up for review. It's their money and they can review the heck out of it, all they want. If the spending is legit and you have the finances to pay it back, it shouldn't be a probmem, right? 

But if the review is blocking further spending until the promo period is over, that is a problem!

Both my WIfe's (13 days) and my friends (8 days) account was magically unlocked the day after the promo ended. We asked for an extension of the promo, they told us to kick rocks. Got to love BBVA!

That's questionable, at best.  Not sure I'd want to do business with them if it happened to me.

Yeah my wife is pissed but not sure what we can do.  Just sucks cause we wanted to buy a pretty expensive grill and two road bikes, total of about 4K and was looking forward to the 5% back. 

Too many reports of people being blocked during the promo for it to be coincidental.  I think they made a conscious decision to limit their exposure and locked accounts to protect their bottom line.  Very bad customer service and I'm not sure what if anything could be done about it.

Message 33 of 36
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Just got an offer from TD for their card that gives 5% for the first 6 months (on gas, groceries, dining and utilities).    This card used to be uncapped, but the offer now says maximum of $450 cash back during 6 month period.    So $9K of 5% spend.   Not sure why BBVA didn't do something similar.....

Message 34 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

Just got an offer from TD for their card that gives 5% for the first 6 months (on gas, groceries, dining and utilities).    This card used to be uncapped, but the offer now says maximum of $450 cash back during 6 month period.    So $9K of 5% spend.   Not sure why BBVA didn't do something similar.....

They did do something similar.  They capped the rewards by blocking people 

Message 35 of 36
unc0mm0n1
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

They did do something similar.  They capped the rewards by blocking people 

Yeah, I think a cap is sensible. I just wish they would have told us that instead of locking the card. 

Last App March 23, 2015. Gardening until November 25, 2015
Current Score: 766 EX 734 EQ 780 TU 6/30/2015Starting Score/Goal Score: 580s/780s across the board
Message 36 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.