cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the Barclays Rewards card a good card?

tag
jk26978
Regular Contributor

Is the Barclays Rewards card a good card?

I recently received a pre-approval in the mail for the Barclays Rewards card and am not sure if I should try for it.  I have also received several pre-approvals for the Discover IT card however, they have my last name spelled incorrectly so am not really sure as to how accurate that one really is.  I ask, because the last 2 tries for cards were both with Walmart - both times denied - only reason was BK from 2009 - have 4 cards total, with a total balance of 606.00 which will be below the 10% util after the payment in April, a small secured loan with my Credit Union, which only have 2 more months on.  I am scared to try because I am working toward being able to buy a car hopefully this year, but may decided to wait another year.....guess I am just "scared"

Thanks

K

Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 650 Current Score: EQ:674 (SW Alert 12-28-15) - TU: 698 (5/27/13 SW)Chapter 7 filed 8/2009 - Discharged 12/2009 Goal Score: 750
Joined the garden again 12/5/13
In the garden again till at least 6/1/16

http:
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
TravisD
Contributor

Re: Is the Barclays Rewards card a good card?

Based on the details, it looks like a pretty good card. How are you recent inquiries? Barclays is very sensitive with looking for, and opening new lines of credit before and after the application.

• Earn 5,000 Bonus points after your first purchase - enough for $50 cash back.
  • Earn 2 points per $1 on gas, grocery and utility purchases.
  • Earn 1 point per $1 everywhere else
  • Redeem for flights, shopping, dining and more.
  • Use your points like cash to pay for any purchase you've made.
........???................659 (FICO)................659 (TU08) ........
Message 2 of 6
londonhogfan
Contributor

Sorry I don't have an answer for you, but wanted to congratulate you on such a good job with your credit score considering how recent your bankruptcy was.

I'll be in the garden... FICO Score | TU-08: 732 in May 2013
Message 3 of 6
jk26978
Regular Contributor

I have 1 inq from the small secured loan from April of 2012 (last year) and I thought that I had applied again for the Wal-Mart card last summer but the only one that shows up is from Fall of 2010.  If the walmart app from last summer shows somewhere than there is 2 inq in the past year

Thanks for the response

K

Starting Score: 650 Current Score: EQ:674 (SW Alert 12-28-15) - TU: 698 (5/27/13 SW)Chapter 7 filed 8/2009 - Discharged 12/2009 Goal Score: 750
Joined the garden again 12/5/13
In the garden again till at least 6/1/16

http:
Message 4 of 6
TravisD
Contributor

I would give it a shot - I've seen some post here that Barclays is rather BK friendly. They have a great recon line, so if you do not get the instant approval definitely give them a call (a couple times if needed) to have it to be approved. 

Let us know how it goes!

........???................659 (FICO)................659 (TU08) ........
Message 5 of 6
chnceit
Valued Contributor

If approved do not go app crazy because Barclay is new account sensitive in the first 6 months of account open. YMMV.

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.