cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the Chase Sapphire Preferred worth carrying permanently?

tag
mikka1
Frequent Contributor

Re: Is the Chase Sapphire Preferred worth carrying permanently?

@ryanbush wrote:
I'm currently trying to find a low award for this June anywhere to Mexico or the Caribbean for my honeymoon and it doesn't seem like there is anything at all available 

ryanbush, sorry for offtopic, but just a quick question/advice - I don't know how easily you can look for award tickets using native Delta/UA interfaces, but I found it EXTREMELY useful for me to use www.expertflyer.com for searching for award tickets. This site literally saved me a vacation a couple of years ago (I wasn't able to locate an award ticket for Aeroflot Russian Airlines flight from NYC to Moscow using airline interface, because it was extremely slow and allowed me to check for 1 day at once). EF allows you to check multiple flights/directions for as much as 5 consecutive days at once, so your chances to find an award spot are becoming much higher...

It has a free 5-day trial btw, so it costs nothing to try (and... if you want to continue you can always register to another email and clear cookies, but I obviously haven't mentioned this :-) )

Sorry for offtopic again

In my wallet now: Amex PRG NPSL, Amex BCE $15k $17k (thanks to recent CLI), Chase Freedom 11k, CSP $6k, Chase United ME $5k, Citi Dividend $5.6k, Discover It $4.5k and a handful of other cards...
TU Dec 2013 - 752Sep 2013 - 764 - new all time maximum

Obsolete data aboveCurrent TU - probably around ~810, only using a few Chase & BofA cards now, not applying for much until we buy a house
Message 31 of 40
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@mikka1 wrote:

HiLine, no doubt Fidelity with 2% is better than BofA Travel Rewards with 1.5% (or even 1.65), but I was sure that Fidelity card is offered only to those who have certain relationship with Fidelity Investments, right? If so, that would probably not be a fair comparison as CSP and BofA Travel are offered to whoever wants them (condition he/she is creditworthy enough).

No, anyone can apply for a Fidelity Amex.  To maximize rewards, you need to open a Fidelity account (of various types, including no fee), but this isn't very different from some BoA and Chase cards giving bonuses if you have one of their accounts.

Message 32 of 40
mikka1
Frequent Contributor

@bs6054 wrote:
No, anyone can apply for a Fidelity Amex.  To maximize rewards, you need to open a Fidelity account (of various types, including no fee), but this isn't very different from some BoA and Chase cards giving bonuses if you have one of their accounts.

Then I was wrong, sorry. 

This Fidelity Amex should be a great card then.

In my wallet now: Amex PRG NPSL, Amex BCE $15k $17k (thanks to recent CLI), Chase Freedom 11k, CSP $6k, Chase United ME $5k, Citi Dividend $5.6k, Discover It $4.5k and a handful of other cards...
TU Dec 2013 - 752Sep 2013 - 764 - new all time maximum

Obsolete data aboveCurrent TU - probably around ~810, only using a few Chase & BofA cards now, not applying for much until we buy a house
Message 33 of 40
HiLine
Blogger

@mikka1 wrote:

HiLine, no doubt Fidelity with 2% is better than BofA Travel Rewards with 1.5% (or even 1.65), but I was sure that Fidelity card is offered only to those who have certain relationship with Fidelity Investments, right? If so, that would probably not be a fair comparison as CSP and BofA Travel are offered to whoever wants them (condition he/she is creditworthy enough). Frankly saying, I used BofA Travel mostly because I have this card, I like it and this card is #1 benchmark for me comparing it to the other cards...

"Value" of points is also something one can argue for a long time about. Back to my life abroad, I've always been a huge fan of cards with pure air miles (usually, 1 or 2 miles per $). In this case  the actual value when you redeem you bonus might well exceed any reasonable value you can get from cash-back. If you happen to book a ticket for Christmas time for 25000 miles paying only ~$100 in fuel charges/taxes, and this ticket costs $1000 or so in the market, then you have an increadibly good deal. If you happened to redeem 25000 miles + $100 in taxes for a ticket that costs $200 in the market, you've probably made not very wise decision. 

So, Chase UR / Amex MR points might be great, but YMMV significantly redeeming them...

By no means I don't want to say that they are bad, but you sometimes need to go an extra mile looking for the best options to redeem them. To this extend cashback is much more "consumer-friendly" :-)

By theway, BofA Travel Rewards is a fantastic card - it is currently my go-to card and my companion on international trips. But I'd be willing to replace this card with the Fidelity when I have to time and will to open the latter. Unless credit cards somehow fall out of favor, I'll be using credit cards for another 50 years, and will continually be increasing my annual spending. As such, it is totally worth it to open a Fidelity account just to get the cash back advantage. The average American household spending is what? 50k a year? The .5% difference becomes a lot more valuable now doesn't it? If you'd be willing to open a BofA account to earn an extra .15 point on top of the 1.5 point, then you can totally open a Fidelity account instead to make yet an extra 0.35.

Frequent flier miles' redemption value is not straightforward. I really like the way the miles get valued on milevalue.com; so I use their chart for an approximation. 

Message 34 of 40
Open123
Super Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

2, I personally find carrying multiple cards in my wallet an inconvenience. I'd rather drop $100 in cash back per year than carry 5 cards all the time. Remembering which card to use in each type of purchase, and making sure each card is paid on time, takes away my free will which I would rather use for any other purpose. 

Fun thread.

Here's how I see it.  For an everyday card (assuming at least $15K spend), I'd choose the following and give my rationale.

1.  SPG - Best if predominantly domestic spending and stay at SPG hotels using "cash + points" redemptions in categories 3 and 4 properties.

2.  Fidelity Amex (or, any 2% no fee) if predominantly domestic spending with no interest in airfare, hotels, or any travel related value.

3.  CSP - Best if no forex and travel is important, especially with UA and Hyatt.

Is there a 4th that I'm missing?

Message 35 of 40
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@mikka1 wrote:

@ryanbush wrote:
I'm currently trying to find a low award for this June anywhere to Mexico or the Caribbean for my honeymoon and it doesn't seem like there is anything at all available 

ryanbush, sorry for offtopic, but just a quick question/advice - I don't know how easily you can look for award tickets using native Delta/UA interfaces, but I found it EXTREMELY useful for me to use www.expertflyer.com for searching for award tickets. This site literally saved me a vacation a couple of years ago (I wasn't able to locate an award ticket for Aeroflot Russian Airlines flight from NYC to Moscow using airline interface, because it was extremely slow and allowed me to check for 1 day at once). EF allows you to check multiple flights/directions for as much as 5 consecutive days at once, so your chances to find an award spot are becoming much higher...

It has a free 5-day trial btw, so it costs nothing to try (and... if you want to continue you can always register to another email and clear cookies, but I obviously haven't mentioned this :-) )

Sorry for offtopic again

Hey thanks for the advice, I'm definitly going to see what i can come up with using this site... much appreciated 

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 36 of 40
HiLine
Blogger

@Open123 wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

2, I personally find carrying multiple cards in my wallet an inconvenience. I'd rather drop $100 in cash back per year than carry 5 cards all the time. Remembering which card to use in each type of purchase, and making sure each card is paid on time, takes away my free will which I would rather use for any other purpose. 

Fun thread.

Here's how I see it.  For an everyday card (assuming at least $15K spend), I'd choose the following and give my rationale.

1.  SPG - Best if predominantly domestic spending and stay at SPG hotels using "cash + points" redemptions in categories 3 and 4 properties.

2.  Fidelity Amex (or, any 2% no fee) if predominantly domestic spending with no interest in airfare, hotels, or any travel related value.

3.  CSP - Best if no forex and travel is important, especially with UA and Hyatt.

At 15k annual spending, having two cards with annual fees is hard to justify. SPG and CSP are quite interchangeable - you only need one. 

For a travel-oriented budget, you should just stick with the CSP, as the SPG doesn't give you a bonus for travel and dining purchases, and the CSP has a higher cash back reward rate than the Fidelity as aforementioned. 

If you plan to carry multiple cards, the combination is: Cash +, Forward, Freedom, It, and possibly BCE/BCP.

Message 37 of 40
Open123
Super Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

Fun thread.

At 15k annual spending, having two cards with annual fees is hard to justify. SPG and CSP are quite interchangeable - you only need one. 

For a travel-oriented budget, you should just stick with the CSP, as the SPG doesn't give you a bonus for travel and dining purchases, and the CSP has a higher cash back reward rate than the Fidelity as aforementioned. 

If you plan to carry multiple cards, the combination is: Cash +, Forward, Freedom, It, and possibly BCE/BCP.

I meant if I were to have "one" card - for all spending.

For SPG, on average, redeeming for "cash + points" gives me a higher value than any other redemptions in other programs when used on SPG properties.

Message 38 of 40
HiLine
Blogger

I was getting hungry and distracted, sorry. Smiley Tongue

But yeah, those 3 are some of the best cards for the given level of spending. If I could only have one card, I'd pick from your list. Smiley Wink

Regarding the SPG, sure, if you consistently get higher value out of SPG points having factored in the lower point accumulation rate, by all means, go for it! 

Message 39 of 40
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 40 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.