cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the Chase Sapphire Preferred worth the $95 annual fee after the first year?

tag
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Is the Chase Sapphire Preferred worth the $95 annual fee after the first year?

@longtimelurker wrote:

@-NewGuy- wrote:

LTL I thought that the 7% did count towards points earned at UR MAll, just not sign up points.

However, I am a little worried right now. I just googled Chase Sapphire preferred, and all Chase links that reference the 7% dividend have been removed. I can't find a single Chase operated page that referenced the 7% dividend. Not even in the fine print in 'Offer Details'. Anyone?

Yes, I think you are right about all points except sign-up, getting confused with something else!   Yes, I can't see any details of the 7%, but not sure where it was listed before.  If it had gone, thought we should have heard about it!

Edit: missed your later post.  So all points is right.

So, we need a new person to app for the card and see if their T&Cs mention the bonus!

That would be perfect, someone step right up! LOL. I remember that when I apped in February the 7% bonus was mentioned right up front. I seriously checked a ton of different chase pages and can't find it.

EDIT: One of the pages looks exactly like the one I saw when i signed up... except that the mention of the 7% dividend isn't there anymore.

Message 51 of 62
gh17
Frequent Contributor

Re: Is the Chase Sapphire Preferred worth the $95 annual fee after the first year?

I just did the math out, and if I did that right, it looks like my break even point for my current lineup vs. my current lineup + CSP is if I spent around $1300 more in gas or restaurants per month than I do currently.  This would bring up the benefit from the quarterly Freedom categories.  Most of my travel is either to the beach (rent a house, no hotel), or to visit family/friends, or to stay in family's timeshare, so hotel benefits don't do much for me.  I do fly Southwest maybe once or twice a year - obviously not enough for the travel points to do much, but enough so that I decided I could value points at 1.4 cents.  This brings my Freedom bonus quarterly categories to 7%, but for that to be enough to beat out my normal year-round percentages and also offset the annual fee was just a ton.

However, I definitely conceed that this could be beneficial if you're at the point where you're getting higher valuations on the UR points, or if you're just putting a lot more spend through Freedom categories, or if you don't have a good restaurant card.  Being that I already get 4-5% on restaurants/gas year round, the extra valuation from the 1:1 transfers didn't have as much as an effect as if I were getting, say 1%.

Now, if I put my valuation at 2 cents per point, which I think it's unrealistic that I could get, then I'd only need to increase my monthly restaurant/gas spending by around $100.  So the point valuation is really important.

Obviously we've all figured out by now that this varies person to person, but it was interesting to go through my spending.

BofA Cash Rewards 25,000 (2009) | Citi Double Cash 25,000 (2011) | Cap1 Quicksilver 10,000 (2013) | Discover It 31,000 (2014) | Chase Freedom 9000 (2014) | Barclaycard Rewards 25,000 (2014)

FICO: 840 Discover/Barclays/BofA TU, 869 Citi Equifax
Message 52 of 62
milkshakes
Regular Contributor

to gh17: Airbnb counts under travel expenses :].

for those more interested in seeing what they'd use UR points for: http://thepointsguy.com/2014/05/what-will-60000-chase-ultimate-rewards-points-get-you/

a caveat: weird how TPG would value UR at 2 cents per point when he values the partners less: http://thepointsguy.com/2014/05/what-is-a-point-or-mile-worth-new-monthly-valuation-series/

Chase UR: 2.0 cents

British Airways: 1.7 cents

Southwest: 1.4 cents

United: 1.6 cents

Virgin Atlantic: 1.5 cents

Hyatt: 1.8 cents

so he seems to be valuing them higher because they're flexible. i'm from the train of thought that even though they're flexible, they still can't be averaged as more valuable than it's best average redemption (which is Hyatt at 1.8). I personally value them at 1.6.

12k                    10k                     5k                 12.5k (AU)                 6k                   NPSL                   12k
Message 53 of 62
milkshakes
Regular Contributor

edit: previous one double posted

12k                    10k                     5k                 12.5k (AU)                 6k                   NPSL                   12k
Message 54 of 62
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@milkshakes wrote:

gh17: airbnb counts as travel :]

for those interested in seeing how you'd value UR points: http://thepointsguy.com/2014/05/what-will-60000-chase-ultimate-rewards-points-get-you/

a caveat: there's a link within that post that shows how much he values each partner. a quick rundown:

UR: 2.0 cents

Hyatt: 1.8 cents

BA: 1.7 cents

United: 1.6 cents

Southwest: 1.4 cents

Virgin: 1.5 cents

he probably values UR more because it's flexible, but i hold the philosophy that you can't really value them more than it's best redemption (on average, anyway), which is Hyatt at 1.8. i personally value them around 1.6.

Just an small adendum with the new singapore airlines parnership you can actually find an better deal for flights to say Hawaii from continental US. I don't what the rules about linking are but you can google miles biz. You can put in origin city and destination city and you choose flight partners and see which one has the best deal. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 55 of 62
nachoslibres
Established Contributor

It does look like Chase has eliminated every mention of the 7% dividend on all their sites affiliated with the CSP.  I'm wondering if there is going to be a change in the program.

Message 56 of 62
eagle2013
Established Contributor

@nachoslibres wrote:

It does look like Chase has eliminated every mention of the 7% dividend on all their sites affiliated with the CSP.  I'm wondering if there is going to be a change in the program.

Interesting. I heard some evidence about the 7% being applied to the 40000 bonus. 

Whether I break even or not this year I don't know - I'll pay the AF this year and reassess.  

Message 57 of 62
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

@nachoslibres wrote:

That's what it seems like to me. I can't imagine that you would rewrite all your webpages and T&C unless you were serious. It used to be one of the more prominent features too.

Message 58 of 62
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@-NewGuy- wrote:

@nachoslibres wrote:

That's what it seems like to me. I can't imagine that you would rewrite all your webpages and T&C unless you were serious. It used to be one of the more prominent features too.

I am wondering if they are removing it for everybody , or if thats only for new customers that wont receiver it anymore 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 59 of 62
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

@mongstradamus wrote:

@-NewGuy- wrote:

@nachoslibres wrote:

I am wondering if they are removing it for everybody , or if thats only for new customers that wont receiver it anymore 

That's a good question. The lady I spoke to seemed quite confident that I was still getting it. Of course, I don't think they would simply eliminate it for existing customers just like that.

Message 60 of 62
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.