Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the Venture worth the AF?

tag
Man-Of-Steel
Established Contributor

Re: Is the Venture worth the AF?

I don't think that the Venture AF is worth it (for many of the reasons that have been stated in this thread already).  However, I do think this is a good card to get if you are able to apply for it directly and qualify for the sign up bonus, providing that you don't keep it longer than the first year.  Also, provided that you have plans to travel.  I was reluctant to jump on the Venture bandwagon, but now that I give it more thought (also realizing that I may be traveling in a couple of months), I'm giving this card some serious consideration.  

Message 31 of 74
icyhot
Valued Contributor

@syeb wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@icyhot wrote:
Because I already have a cash back card and I'm weird about having two cards that do the same thing :-/

Right, but the Venture does do the same thing. It is still a "cash back" card essentially. The only difference is that they call the cash "miles" and you have to redeem them (as a credit) against travel purchases. For all intents and purposes, Venture One/ Venture are simply cashback cards with clever "miles" marketing and redemption restrictions.

I agree that the Venture is essentially a 2% cash back card with redemption restrictions (to travel only).  However,  personally I enjoy getting the travel credit which I can use for vacations and lower my cost for the trip.  The cash back just disappears into the regular budget and doesn't feel as good. 

My sentiments exactly! I'm glad someone was able to put it in the right words. The Venture just *feels* special because of the the higher redemption travel credit. 

Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 32 of 74
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Also, the Venture travel redemption is $1 = 100 miles. How does it work on the QS? Is it just dollar for dollar, like the Journey?

Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K

Message 33 of 74
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@icyhot wrote:

@syeb wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@icyhot wrote:
Because I already have a cash back card and I'm weird about having two cards that do the same thing :-/

Right, but the Venture does do the same thing. It is still a "cash back" card essentially. The only difference is that they call the cash "miles" and you have to redeem them (as a credit) against travel purchases. For all intents and purposes, Venture One/ Venture are simply cashback cards with clever "miles" marketing and redemption restrictions.

I agree that the Venture is essentially a 2% cash back card with redemption restrictions (to travel only).  However,  personally I enjoy getting the travel credit which I can use for vacations and lower my cost for the trip.  The cash back just disappears into the regular budget and doesn't feel as good. 

My sentiments exactly! I'm glad someone was able to put it in the right words. The Venture just *feels* special because of the the higher redemption travel credit. 

If you want to pay an AF for a restricted cashback card that offers nothing (IMO) over a regular 2% card, that is fine. However, there is nothing "higher redemption" about the travel credit. You get 2%, period, redeemed against travel.

You can get this for free with a Citi Double Cash and with low enough spend even the free QS 1.5% beats the AF 2% on the Venture. You can use a Double Cash or Quicksilver against exclusively travel if you wish, but you don't have to!

I just do not see the appeal of the Venture outside of mere psychology. It's marketing that makes you feel like it is a travel card when in fact it is not. However, to each their own.

The QS is dollar for dollar redemption. It's cash, not points.

Message 34 of 74
Anonymous
Not applicable

@syeb wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@icyhot wrote:

This

Message 35 of 74
icyhot
Valued Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

@icyhot wrote:

@syeb wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@icyhot wrote:

If you want to pay an AF for a restricted cashback card that offers nothing (IMO) over a regular 2% card, that is fine. However, there is nothing "higher redemption" about the travel credit. You get 2%, period, redeemed against travel.

You can get this for free with a Citi Double Cash and with low enough spend even the free QS 1.5% beats the AF 2% on the Venture. You can use a Double Cash or Quicksilver against exclusively travel if you wish, but you don't have to!

I just do not see the appeal of the Venture outside of mere psychology. It's marketing that makes you feel like it is a travel card when in fact it is not. However, to each their own.

Yes, it appeals to me mainly because of the travel marketing. If I get the QS, in my mind I'm like "wow I have no travel card" even tho I'm constantly eyeing the thank you premier and would love the 3X on travel to pair with my Forward.

Message 36 of 74
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@icyhot wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@icyhot wrote:

@syeb wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@icyhot wrote:

Yes, it appeals to me mainly because of the travel marketing. If I get the QS, in my mind I'm like "wow I have no travel card" even tho I'm constantly eyeing the thank you premier and would love the 3X on travel to pair with my Forward.

So get a QS and use it for travel expenses. You'll still be enjoying a free card as opposed to paying an AF. But to each their own.

Not to derail but didn't you say your spend is pretty low (~500 a month?) If that is the case there is really no justification IMO for an AF card like Thank You Premier.

You need to go with what fits YOUR spend and not what is popular around here. The Premier or any other AF card only makes sense if you have the spend to justify it, not just because you want a "travel card".

Message 37 of 74
icyhot
Valued Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

@icyhot wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@icyhot wrote:

@syeb wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@icyhot wrote:

So get a QS and use it for travel expenses. You'll still be enjoying a free card as opposed to paying an AF. But to each their own.

Not to derail but didn't you say your spend is pretty low (~500 a month?) If that is the case there is really no justification IMO for an AF card like Thank You Premier.

You need to go with what fits YOUR spend and not what is popular around here. The Premier or any other AF card only makes sense if you have the spend to justify it, not just because you want a "travel card".

No I was just using that as a ballpark figure for that particular instance, my spend varies depending on the card and benefits

Message 38 of 74
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@icyhot wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@icyhot wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@icyhot wrote:

@syeb wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@icyhot wrote:

No I was just using that as a ballpark figure for that particular instance, my spend varies depending on the card and benefits

Wait what? So you spend more if the card has better benefits or rewards? Spending more to chase rewards is not really the best approach (although it is exactly what an issuer wants you to do).

Message 39 of 74
redpat
Senior Contributor

Look, there is no right or wrong answer.  I like the 2% rewards because I travel anyway. cash back segments.  Between my wife and I we spend easily $1,000 - $1,500  a month on gas, groceries, cable, cell phone and going out to dinner, nothing extra.  Also, I use my card for business travel and get reimbursed, extra free miles or 2% rewards/cash.  I do supplement my Discover no AF card for the 5% segments.

Therefore, between personal and business spend is between 20K - 30K annually, $400 - $600 from Venture  PIF on all, so it is free money because I would spend it anyway, plus business reimbursements.

Each individual is different and I you don't reach the spend requirements for the card then it isn't for you.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 40 of 74
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.