cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the Walmart card worth apping for the TU score?

tag
reckedhim
Frequent Contributor

Is the Walmart card worth apping for the TU score?

It seems like a cheap and convenient way to track your score. Is it worth apping for just for the score?
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
the_jan_b
Established Contributor

Re: Is the Walmart card worth apping for the TU score?

For me, it is...  Smiley Wink

Enjoying your freedom? Thank a servicemember and their family!

In the garden since 26 Jun 14...

I am digitaldiva's alter-ego

Message 2 of 18
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

...also good for the better than average CLI's, for which greatly helps the utilization ratio.

Message 3 of 18
Epcot
Valued Contributor

If you are rebuilding or want a TU score to monitor, I say yes. No AF, nice increases and a TU score make it a very desirable card to many. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 4 of 18
reckedhim
Frequent Contributor

Do you get the TU score with both of the available Walmart cards?
Message 5 of 18
Radek7752
Contributor

I wouldn't say it's worth it to apply just for the score (haven't had a lender so far use TU08); however, I keep my Walmart Discover in the drawer for 0% promotions and frequent CLIs. I got an email a few days ago promoting $.15 discount at their gas stations, so that's another useful benefit of the card.

BoA: Virgin Atlantic World Elite Mastercard
Chase: Sapphire Preferred (WMC)/Freedom/Amazon/Auto Loan (41k)
Citi: Thank You Preferred/Forward/Simplicity
AmEx: Zync/Blue Cash/Starwood Preferred
Discover: IT
GE: JCP/Walmart Discover
Message 6 of 18
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

I'm sure 100 people on this forum will tell you to get the card, but here are some reasons not to:

1. The TU08 is used by almost nobody. Even if they do use it, there is a decent chance they will use an auto or credit enhanced version. Knowing this score means you know this score. You are as likely to get a benefit from knowing this score as you are from the free Vantage score (not creditkarma score) offered for free on CK. Very few lenders use that score as well.

2. If the only reason you would get the card is for the score, then you have to weigh the value of that score (perhaps emotionally gratifying to see it go up, might randomly correspond to what a particular lender pulls) against the costs, which are an inquiry, a new credit line, a lowering of your AAoA and having to keep track of a card that you don't/won't use.

3. Even if the GE cheerleaders are right and your limit grows easily and steadily over time, I've yet to be convinced of the value of having a large limit on a card you don't use. Utilization is an artificial value that only matters at the time you are applying for credit. It is very easily manipulated regardless of what your total limits are. The ONLY reason to get a card with a high limit that you don't use might be if you buy in to this argument that other lenders won't give you high limits until a first lender does. I know some people swear by this, but as someone who got a chase visa signature with a 5k limit at the time when my highest other limit was 1000, I'm just not a believer.

I will be the first to admit to an anti-walmart bias, for plenty of reasons that are not germaine to this forum, but I stand by my arguments regardless.

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 7 of 18
reckedhim
Frequent Contributor

Thanks cd, that was insightful. I may just hold off.
Message 8 of 18
jht2
Contributor

Initially I did for the scores but my wally score hasn't updated since January.

Message 9 of 18
colindidit
Established Contributor

I think CD isn't completely right in that statement. The last two cards I received in the mail have the fico score from Walmart. And my Walmart and myfico are 41 points apart so it's not completely true that its used by almost nobody. These were discover and BOA so it's not like they were subprime.
Wallet: Barclay-5k, Citadel MC- 5k, Slate- 4k, Freedom- 3k, BOA- 3k, Citi- 2k, AMEXBCE- 2k and more...
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.