Established Contributor

Is the credit line match really true?

I want to grow my current cards now that I have them. In November Im eligible for a CLI with charter one. My question is, do they really tend to match/beat the other credit lines you have to get your business?

If so, should I put another $500 on my PNC secured in hopes they beat that limit to get me over the 1k mark? Suggestions?

In my wallet: GCU Patinum Visa 1500 CL, Charter One Platinum Rewards 500 CL, Chase Freedom 800 CL, Wal Mart Discover Card 6300 CL, Kay Jewelers 3000 CL
Valued Contributor

Re: Is the credit line match really true?

This differs based on a lot of information. American Express gave me five times the highest limit I had at the time. PNC gave me twice the highest limit. Discover saw American Express reporting and only gave $1000. If you have good history with a lender, and a good report, they should have no problem giving you above 1000 if your income supports it.

Established Contributor

It seems that Chase is the only one who is concerned with passing out $5k visa siggy's without prior experience.

JP Morgan Select $10k | CSP $10k | Citi TY Premier $15k | BofA 3-2-1 $15k | Chase Freedom $10k | Discover IT $10k | Barclaycard $15k | AMEX SPG $5k | AMEX PRG NPSL | NASA Platinum-Advantage $10k | CapOne Quicksilver $3k | Walmart Card $5k | Amazon Card $10k | Chase Auto 1.49% | Joined myFICO 6/12 with a 540 FICO & today I'm over 750!
Senior Contributor

jcstarkey8826 wrote:

I want to grow my current cards now that I have them. In November Im eligible for a CLI with charter one. My question is, do they really tend to match/beat the other credit lines you have to get your business?

If so, should I put another $500 on my PNC secured in hopes they beat that limit to get me over the 1k mark? Suggestions?

In my case, it worked 1/2 the time.    IMO, it can only help but other factors are also involved..

Established Contributor

Ok. My income is nothing to brag about, but I dont have to stress about money so hopefully that wouldnt keep me from getting over 1k. I might try it and see. Whats the harm I guess?

I wanted to try for a discover motiva, but I had a CO from 2008 (paid) and I dont think they will be willing to extend me credit. My GF just got a 1k limit with them on her first credit card, but Im just wanting out of 500CL land!!!! haha Im almost there and I can feel it :smileywink:

In my wallet: GCU Patinum Visa 1500 CL, Charter One Platinum Rewards 500 CL, Chase Freedom 800 CL, Wal Mart Discover Card 6300 CL, Kay Jewelers 3000 CL
Senior Contributor

It definitely helps, but doesn't guarantee it. When I was in the hundreds, Barclays was the first to give me 4 digits with $2200. But then no one wanted to go past the $2k mark. Finally, after waiting, I was able to CLI my smaller cards (except for cap one!) and broke thru to higher CLs. 

Some people have posted about going from a smaller <$1k CL to 4 or even 5 digits, but usually with a CU or USAA.

It does help for new CCs to see that you're managing higher CLs and also have the use for those limits.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.