cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there ANY reason not to close my Cap1 secured card?

tag
SpeedingWheels
Contributor

Is there ANY reason not to close my Cap1 secured card?

This is in no way a slight to Cap1.. I'm quite happy with them. 

However, my situation is completely different than it was 18 months ago when I opened this account. 

In July '11 Cap1 was pretty much the only lender out there that would extend me credit and I got in on the $49 for $200 secured account. 
I increased the limit by $100 with an additional deposit so Cap1 has $149 of mine.. which is fine. 

However, with the CLI on my Cap1 Cash Rewards card plus my newly approved Amex I see no reason to hold onto a card with an AF and by far my lowest limit. 

Is there anything I'm missing? Are there any negatives that can come from closing the account? 

Walmart Discover ($5000) - Amazon ($5500) - Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2000) - Meijer ($5000) - Discover More ($1800) - Car Care One ($2100) - Amex Delta Skymiles ($2000) - Citi Thank You Preferred ($2000) - Chase Freedom ($500) - Sam's Club, GE ($1237?)
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Is there ANY reason not to close my Cap1 secured card?

There's nothing the card does for you financially, and it's an incredibly small piece of your credit report at this point.  Personally I'd close it in your situation if you remotely care about the AF, you've moved past needing it based on your signature line.

        
Message 2 of 5
MrxLeo
Contributor

Is that $49 an AF?  I've heard of customers graduating out of the secured program and the account turning into a revolver after. They've also received CLIs on the revolver after. So if that $49 isn't a AF you may want to keep the account open just because its has the longest reporting history. 

Starting Score: 609
Current Score: EX: 723 (08/18), TU: 741 (08/15), EQ: 695(08/15)
Goal Score: 785

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 5
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@MrxLeo wrote:

Is that $49 an AF?  I've heard of customers graduating out of the secured program and the account turning into a revolver after. They've also received CLIs on the revolver after. So if that $49 isn't a AF you may want to keep the account open just because its has the longest reporting history. 

AF is $29 on secured card.   Card does not graduate.   You have to apply for another with them.  It will still be the longest reporting history even after it is closed.

No reason to keep this open.

Message 4 of 5
HindSight_20_20
Frequent Contributor

@Wolf3 wrote:

@MrxLeo wrote:

AF is $29 on secured card.   Card does not graduate.   You have to apply for another with them.  It will still be the longest reporting history even after it is closed.

No reason to keep this open.

+1 "let it go" - it will still do more for you financially in the next 10 years "closed" than its doing now.

Goal Score: EX 700|TU 700|EQ700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

HiltonHonors AMEX 2K | Amazon Store CC $800 | Bed Bath & Beyond 2K | Lowes CC 11K | Cap 1 Secured $500 | Cap 1 Plat $300 | Cap 1 Savor 1K |Citi Secured $200 | Target $500 | Kohl's $1K | Truist Cashback 4.5K | Penfed Power Cash Back 3.5K |Apple Pay CC 3K | Venmo Sig Visa 7.5K | SECU 13.5K | Bragg Mutual FCU 10K | Best Buy Citi Visa $2.5K | DiscoverIT CB 11.5K
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.