Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a benefit to paying off entire credit card balance

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Is there a benefit to paying off entire credit card balance

Beyond the discussion of overall credit util etc, is there any benefit with that specific lender if you pay your card completely down to zero every month versus paying the full amount of balance due, but leaving the most recent charges to post on the next cycle. For example, I have a 4k balance on my CSP, only 2k of it is due on the due date, the other 2k is charges from this particular cycle. I pay off the balance due of 2k and let the other 2k report and pay it off the following month when its due. Will doing this lower my chances of an auto cli (again let's leave things like overall util out of it and just assume my overall util will be 1% and only this card reporting a balance)? 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

Re: Is there a benefit to paying off entire credit card balance

I've read that lenders like to see your statements post with a balance, and then pay that balance every month (whether in full or minimum due).

Obviously for a scoring and utilization perspective, the "unbilled" charges aren't on your statement, so it's not reported to the bureaus.

I think you're in the right mindset to just pay in full your statement balance, not what hasn't been posted to a statement. But, that's just me.
BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 2 of 12
red259
Super Contributor

@0REDSOX7 wrote:
I've read that lenders like to see your statements post with a balance, and then pay that balance every month (whether in full or minimum due).

Obviously for a scoring and utilization perspective, the "unbilled" charges aren't on your statement, so it's not reported to the bureaus.

I think you're in the right mindset to just pay in full your statement balance, not what hasn't been posted to a statement. But, that's just me.

If you don't pay the full balance and only pay the balance due a few days later your statement will cut and the remaining balance will show on your credit report as the new balance due. This is why people who are overly concerned about util will pay the balance to zero before statement cut. 

;
Message 3 of 12
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

Sorry - I misread what you had posted (read it on my iPhone).

Yes, you are correct.

BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 4 of 12
red259
Super Contributor

@0REDSOX7 wrote:

Sorry - I misread what you had posted (read it on my iPhone).

Yes, you are correct.

Never trust anything an Iphone tells you!

;
Message 5 of 12
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

If you don't plan on apping for anything, then it's fine to PIF the last reported balance and let the new charges report.  If you are going to apply for new credit then util becomes an important consideration.

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@red259 wrote:

Beyond the discussion of overall credit util etc, is there any benefit with that specific lender if you pay your card completely down to zero every month versus paying the full amount of balance due, but leaving the most recent charges to post on the next cycle.

Mostly that warm fuzzy feeling that you owe no one.

Message 7 of 12
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

Beyond the discussion of overall credit util etc, is there any benefit with that specific lender if you pay your card completely down to zero every month versus paying the full amount of balance due, but leaving the most recent charges to post on the next cycle.

I love that feeling!

;
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

I love that feeling!

Don't we all? Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 12
taxi818
Super Contributor

It's a good thing. But I'm gonna float things awhile. With 0% still over a year. Not applying  for anything soon.  So I see no problem with letting 2k dilation on my cards. Next year want new car. 4 months before. Will pay down to 1%. And see scores rise.  For new ride. 

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.