cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a better cash back combination?

tag
Aprile421
Regular Contributor

Re: Is there a better cash back combination?

If you're eligiable for USAA I have their rewards Amex which gives me 5% on gas for the first $3000. I also carry both Discover and Freedom because as other have said they don't always have the same catagories and sometimes when they do have the same catagories I have been able to max out spend on both cards for a particular catagory. Home Improvement was great for me last year as I had bought a new house and needed new appliances and things for the house. That was an easy $150 cash back between the 2.

Another card if you're eligiable for USAA and can get into the pilot program is USAA limitless which gives a static 2.5% on everything. Catch is you need to have a direct deposit of  $1000 a month going into a USAA account. I would love to do this but because I get paid monthly from different sources none of them are quite $1000 at a time and such a pain to change over.

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Aprile421 wrote:

If you're eligiable for USAA I have their rewards Amex which gives me 5% on gas for the first $3000. I also carry both Discover and Freedom because as other have said they don't always have the same catagories and sometimes when they do have the same catagories I have been able to max out spend on both cards for a particular catagory. Home Improvement was great for me last year as I had bought a new house and needed new appliances and things for the house. That was an easy $150 cash back between the 2.

Another card if you're eligiable for USAA and can get into the pilot program is USAA limitless which gives a static 2.5% on everything. Catch is you need to have a direct deposit of  $1000 a month going into a USAA account. I would love to do this but because I get paid monthly from different sources none of them are quite $1000 at a time and such a pain to change over.

A direct deposit from an external bank counts as well, I push $1,001 from NFCU to USAA to meet the requirement, and then send it back via USAA.

Message 12 of 17
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

@BirchBarlow wrote:

As long as you spend enough to justify the AFs.  I personally don't feel I spend enough to justify paying annual fees so I use the combination Citi DC, Discover It, and Amazon Prime for cash back and it's served me well so far, not to mention the benefits and disputes deparments at Citi and Discover are both top notch.

As long as you don't do anything to pop Citi's fraud alert.  It took me almost two months, 20 phone calls and $15 in FedEx charges to keep my DC.  All because of a moving truck charge, four days after I called and told them I was moving.

The only card I have with an AF is the CSP which I am going to be downgrading before the AF hits.  I'm traveling more this year that I will for a few years and still find it less useful than the DC, Amex and Discover.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 13 of 17
yellowcake
Regular Contributor

Here's my starting 5:
Point guard: USAA limitless - 2.5% cash back everywhere
Shooting guard: Chase Freedom
Small Forward: Discover It
Power Forward: USAA Cashback rewards plus Amex: 5% on gas
Center: Consumers Credit Union: 3% on groceries
Message 14 of 17
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

@yellowcake wrote:
Here's my starting 5:

What's the minimum redemption on the Consumers Credit Union grocery card?

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 15 of 17
yellowcake
Regular Contributor

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

@yellowcake wrote:
Here's my starting 5:

What's the minimum redemption on the Consumers Credit Union grocery card?

You get the rewards automatically as a statement credit every month, no minimum.

Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

No you need the chase aarp card for restaurants and the Penfed power rewards for gas. Both have higher percentage then what you have. The blue cash is the best for groceries imo
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.