Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a detox for apping?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is there a detox for apping?

@marty56 wrote:

You should pull your scores.  That would force home the idea of just saying no to so many credit apps.

+1

And pull them from myfico.com/12 so you can see the same info your lenders can see.  That's eye-opening Smiley Surprised

jdsays: But I do think this forum makes me want to apply for things I dont need once I see someone else got approved....I have no will power. 

Yep - it's contagious!!!  I keep a running list of cards I might want to app for next year (just in case I forget about a nifty card that I might absolutely have to have)!!  Then, next year, I'll go over my list and maybe, MAYBE, pick a card - or two.

Message Edited by beamMEup on 10-22-2009 03:42 PM
Message 11 of 24
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Write down your goals, and write down what it takes to reach them. Be honest with yourself: if you want a good card, make a note that you won't get it with a half dozen apps and three new accounts within the last six months.

Develop a long vision, where you see where you want to go, and figure out the timetable and the actions needed to get there. That helps dull the adrenaline hop you get when you read about someone getting a new Tarzhay Red card with that whopping $200 CL. Smiley Wink
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 12 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

"

@Anonymous wrote:

I sure do need it.

I went on a mini-app spree.  Figured it wouldn't hurt since once the mortgage shows up, and I really wanted to take advantage of some good offers.

Sam's Club: $700.  I really wanted the Discover version, but I'll take what I can get.

Old Navy: $150CL (unbelievable but thats GEMB for ya) I called for a recon, CSR says it's based on my scores.  I told her my scores are better than ever.  I'll just wait it out.

Gap: $200 CL (The clothes are just a bit more pricey than Old Navy)

JCPenney: The declined me last year, approved for $200.  I've been getting DH's limit up and now he has Elite status.  I'm going to have to start charging him.  This is my new favorite store for the whole house.  I got some really good deals on window coverings not too long ago.

Rooms to Go: Declined, too many inq, but DH was approved for the 3k we needed for furniture.  Thanks to all my hard work

Kolh's: 400 CL ( I thought I would be declined)

Lowes: No response yet for me, but DH got $500 then he recon'ed and got $2500, I fed him the answers for the analyst.  Didn't want to get too greedy.

Chase Freedom: Declined, too many inq.  I'm thinking I didn't really want this, but worth a try.

Sears: DH declined for too many inq, and then I stopped

Not bad for some store cards.  I think I'm done.  I'd like one more Navy card, but I'll wait for the 1st one to season for a at least a year or so.

Thanks fellow threaders for all your advice this past year.  I've come a long way!

why do you have an old Navy and a Gap card? This is the same company, you can't call to combine?

Message 13 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@marty56 wrote:

You should pull your scores.  That would force home the idea of just saying no to so many credit apps.

+1

And pull them from myfico.com/12 so you can see the same info your lenders can see.  That's eye-opening Smiley Surprised

jdsays: But I do think this forum makes me want to apply for things I dont need once I see someone else got approved....I have no will power. 

Yep - it's contagious!!!  I keep a running list of cards I might want to app for next year (just in case I forget about a nifty card that I might absolutely have to have)!!  Then, next year, I'll go over my list and maybe, MAYBE, pick a card - or two.

Message Edited by beamMEup on 10-22-2009 03:42 PM

What is this myfico.com/12 ?

Message 14 of 24
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

All I have to do is remind myself how irresponsible I once was with CC debt and that stops me in my tracks!!!!  Smiley Happy  Five years and counting since my last application.

(myfico)
7/09 TU-742 EQ- 779
8/09 TU-765 EQ- 783
9/09 EX pulled by lender 802

CC interest free as of 8/09
Time can heal all wounds and a low FICO.
"Hello my name is Sandy and I'm a recovering crediholic".

Message 15 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I have too many CCs now (two charge, five revolv credit, one open credit), esp. since I PIF each month. 

I'd close two or three right now*, but I'm waiting to see how the credit card industry shakes out with all the new regulations and with the recession before I decide which I'll keep.  I'm worried some of these will implement annual fees or other 'creative charges' in the next few months, and I'd like to weed those out.

* preferably those cards younger than my AAoA

Message 16 of 24
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

txjohn wrote:  What is this myfico.com/12 ?

I had the same question when I first read beamMeup's post, but I was afraid to ask, thought I'd look stupid.

Thanks, txjohn!  If you had to ask...wow, now I don't feel so bad.

(Can't wait for the answer!)

Message 17 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I thought it meant every month...
Message 18 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I thought it meant every month...

Love it!  so we could do myfico.com/24/7.......

I was worried that these guys were well, a little iffy.  But myfico.com/12 is an affiliate with myFICO - so it's all good.  When you log on to that site, they link you to myFICO.com

The difference in pulling your reports on myfico.com/12 is that you will receive the same four codes that your lenders see when they pull your credit report.  So, even if you have a high score, you will still see four Reason Codes.  FICO has no positive Reason Codes - so don't go into shock when you see your scale!!  You can use the same discount codes that you use on myfico.com, and the reports you purchase will show on your purchases tab along with all your other myfico.com reports.  You use your same login.  You won't have access to the simulator on these reports, but I prefer seeing the four codes my lenders see to having access to a somewhat vague (but helpful and definitely fun to play with) simulator.

I think this is the only place you can purchase the codes your lenders see.  Pretty cool! 

Message 19 of 24
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

THANK YOU, beamMeup! 

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.