cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a difference between revolving charge accounts and credit cards?

tag
cbarret2
Contributor

Is there a difference between revolving charge accounts and credit cards?

I have 2 accounts reporting as "revolving charge accounts" and 1 account reporting as a credit card. 1 more credit account should be added soon.

I was denied credit because I didn't have enough credit cards. This was when I had 1 "revolving charge account". Now that I have more revolving accounts, will that be sufficient for a Barclaycard Rewards MasterCard credit card?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Is there a difference between revolving charge accounts and credit cards?

@cbarret2 wrote:

I have 2 accounts reporting as "revolving charge accounts" and 1 account reporting as a credit card. 1 more credit account should be added soon.

I was denied credit because I didn't have enough credit cards. This was when I had 1 "revolving charge account". Now that I have more revolving accounts, will that be sufficient for a Barclaycard Rewards MasterCard credit card?

Only as far as how they are reported by the individual CRA.  Retail CCs typically get this designation (but not always) as compared to major bank cards.  Which CC's in your file are in question?

Message 2 of 4
cbarret2
Contributor

Revolving Charge Accounts:

Amazon.com Store Card: CL = $600

CareCredit : CL = $5,000

Credit Cards:

Bank of America: CL = $700

Not on Credit Report Yet:

Capital One: CL = $500

Message 3 of 4
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@cbarret2 wrote:

Revolving Charge Accounts:

Amazon.com Store Card: CL = $600

CareCredit : CL = $5,000

Credit Cards:

Bank of America: CL = $700

Not on Credit Report Yet:

Capital One: CL = $500

This makes sense.  Amazon and CareCredit (GECRB) are essentially accounts that can have flexible/long term revolving payment plans in addition to the standard revolving terms.  They are not considered/classified as major bank cards, simply retail-backed credit accounts.  Your BOA and Capital One will be coded as standard revolving credit cards from major banks/CUs.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.