Established Contributor

Is there a difference between secured cards?

[ Edited ]

I am looking into secured cards for a co worker,And I need a little input on secured cards.I know B of A seems to be rather popular here But what about other banks secured card program Us Bank/Wells Fargo/Citi Bank anyone have any of the other bank secured cards?. From what I can tell they all seem to do the same thing and they all seem to have AF from $18-$29. So I guess it may come down to preference.Does anyone has experience with any of these bank secured cards? And what do you recommend?

Thanks

Message Edited by cartercorp on 05-21-2009 03:29 PM
Message Edited by cartercorp on 05-21-2009 03:31 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Is there a difference between secured cards?

It depends on what the persons credit looks like.  Some secured cards like BOA are harder to get than others.  Some like Orchard and National City give them to anyone who can fill out a form and send in $200.  Most of the major banks do have some standards.  You can get rejected for BOA, Wells, Citi, US Bank.  My only experience was with Orchard and I had no problems with it.  It was about the only one I could get at the time that did not have a lot of fees.  It was $35 annual fee.  National City is also a sure thing for about $35 annual fee.  Stay away from cards that charge much more than that.  If the person belongs to a local credit union they can check to see if they can get a secured card there, sometimes they don't have any fees at all.
Established Contributor

His scores now are in the high 500s.2 med collections (paid) 1 auto loan.
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I got a secured cc with a local credit union with a credit score of 703.  There is no AF and the interest rate is fixed at 10.9%.  However, I was declined  a cc with USbank with a credit score of 790, after a bk dropped off,  so I don't know what to tell you, other than in my estimation it is a crap shoot in today's market place. This all took place in the last few weeks. Good luck to you. 

Message Edited by Imhotrodcrazy on 05-21-2009 04:24 PM
FICOS
TU 807 4/28/15
EX 808 4/17/15
EQ 817 5/1/15
NASA 30K / / Amex 20k / / Chase Freedom 10.6k// Venture 20K / / / / / SD'd US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k, In their final resting place, can you hear the sound of taps?
Goal - At my age, just staying alive
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.