Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a gas card i can get for my scores

tag
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Is there a gas card i can get for my scores

I tried chevron and got declined. Smiley Mad Any suggestions?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

Re: Is there a gas card i can get for my scores

What's keeping the score down at the moment? 

Exxon/Mobil, Citgo and Phillips 66 are all Citibank, but you'd have one heck of asn uphill battle getting approved with an EQ FICO <600. 

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 2 of 10
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@visorboy1974 wrote:

What's keeping the score down at the moment? 

Exxon/Mobil, Citgo and Phillips 66 are all Citibank, but you'd have one heck of asn uphill battle getting approved with an EQ FICO <600. 

I have check fraud accts on my EQ that needs to fall off after the dispute. I have 2 CO's but 1 is paid and being removed and the other will be paid friday and removed soon.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 3 of 10
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

I have check fraud accts on my EQ that needs to fall off after the dispute. I have 2 CO's but 1 is paid and being removed and the other will be paid friday and removed soon.

If you can, just wait till the disputes are taken care of and the COs are removed.  You'll likely have a better score and a much better chance of being approved for a card.  Smiley Happy

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I recently got a Chevron/Texaco card with scores lower than yours, so it might be other issues that are keeping you from being approved. Good luck though. I know I applied for Shell at the same time and was denied.

Message 5 of 10
haiti222
Contributor

Valero or Marathon. Both are still done in house....

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also just recently was approved for a Chevron with scores in the mid 600's. I think one of the reasons i was approved is because Chevron is GEMB. I have two other accounts with them, Walmart and Shop NBC. I applied a few times for Mobil, BP and always got turned down.  

Message 7 of 10
texasman07
Established Contributor

I went on a gas App Spree to see what I was going to get approved for.  My scores at the time were low 600's. Below 620.  One in collections at the time for 500$. from 2010.  I got the 7-10 day message on Shell, I applied for Exxon and got the 7-10 day message, then applied for Citgo and got the 7-10 day message. I figured i had one last shot.  I applid for GEMB/Chevron and got approved for 500.00$ instantly.

A week later in the mail I get 1 shell card 200.00$ limit; 1 Exxon/Mobil Card 200.00$ limit; 1 Citgo Card 200.00$ Limit! What the hell!

I was Shocked that citibank would approve me since I got the wait 7-10 day message.

4 gas cards now. What to do? LOL I Honestly just use Chevron since its the highest limit. Good luck

Message 8 of 10
ReVeLaTeD
Regular Contributor

Citibank will approve seemingly as long as you don't have a BK or other public record showing.  Which to me is BS.

Chevron is fine if you're in the low 600's BUT they seem to be random on the approvals.  I didn't get my Chevron card until my score was above 620.  All of the other gas cards are either Citibank or Chase so those are just not happening - the only one I really care about is Shell (Citibank), because in my area we've got three primary gas stations...Shell, Arco, and Chevron, and I'm convinced Arco's gas is either watered down or is somehow altered from the others to sustain their lower prices.

Credit Cards:
| Cabrillo Credit Union MasterCard @ $3,000 | Chevron Visa @ $2,000 | Amazon Store Card @ $1,800 | HSBC 2% Rewards MasterCard @ $950 (redeemed themselves)
Message 9 of 10
castlefox
Regular Contributor

People always say that with the cheaper gas staions.  Around here its the Sam's/Kosko gas stations. 

IMO if they were really watered down someone would have noticed by now and it woudl be all over the news.

MyFICO score- Equifax - 12.03.11 - 780 Experian 12.03.11 - 763
(FAKO Scores) EXP PLUS Score Dec 2011. 748
Advanced Risk Score 2.0 (NextGen) 793 Dec 2010
Vantage Score (2011) MAR = 771 Jun = 771 Sept= 788 Dec= 773
2012 MAR = 782 JUN=783 Dec = 789
2013 Mar-796 Jun-799 Dec- 797
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.