cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a specific way to get an auto-CLI/Prequal??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there a specific way to get an auto-CLI/Prequal??

I've been noticing posts on here about how people are able to get auto-CLI or a targeted credit card offer from certain lenders by just exhibiting specific usage habits. I've heard rumors about how carrying a balance may help get you an auto-CLI but I've also heard that lenders reward PIF behavior. I just wanted to know people's experiences on how their usage/spending habits resulted in  an auto-CLI or preapprovals popping up for them. 

I've been trying to get lucky with the BoA "soft pull CLI" where they notify you that no credit report will be pulled. Also trying to get prequals from Chase/Citi. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Is there a specific way to get an auto-CLI/Prequal??

@Anonymouswrote:

I've been noticing posts on here about how people are able to get auto-CLI or a targeted credit card offer from certain lenders by just exhibiting specific usage habits. I've heard rumors about how carrying a balance may help get you an auto-CLI but I've also heard that lenders reward PIF behavior. I just wanted to know people's experiences on how their usage/spending habits resulted in  an auto-CLI or preapprovals popping up for them. 

I've been trying to get lucky with the BoA "soft pull CLI" where they notify you that no credit report will be pulled. Also trying to get prequals from Chase/Citi. 

I don't think it's that predictable.

As a general rule, I would say make use of the card for purchases, but not too much use.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 2 of 5
SkyCommander
Frequent Contributor

Amex gave me an auto CLI from 2k to 6k on my SPG card 6 months after I was approved. I bought a bunch of computer parts and was paying it down as charges posted. Then maybe a week or 2 later I got an email saying they increased the limit. Compared to my Discover card which rarely has any activity I never had an auto CLI in the 2 years I've had it.

Chase Hyatt | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase Freedom Unlimited | Amex ED | Amex Hilton | Amex Bonvoy | BoA Amtrak | CapOne Quicksilver
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you guys for the advice.

Do you find that carrying a balance is helpful in any way for getting noticed by the card companies? I have a 15 month no interest period on my Chase Freedom and was wondering if there is any negatives to carrying the balanace somtimes.  I have the money to pay it off (and Chase will know that given I bank with them), but I was just wondering if it would attract their attention. 

Message 4 of 5
SkyCommander
Frequent Contributor

I PIF and haven't carried a balance. I let 1-2 cards post a small amount and after statement cuts it gets paid off.

Chase Hyatt | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase Freedom Unlimited | Amex ED | Amex Hilton | Amex Bonvoy | BoA Amtrak | CapOne Quicksilver
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.