Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a such thing...?

tag
ttrations
Valued Member

Is there a such thing...?

Hi, is there a such thing as having too many secured cards?  I am in the rebuilding stage and I currently have the following secured cards: Cap 1 $200, NFCU $1400, and USAA Amex $1000.  I got these cards during the summer this year and was considering getting the USAA MC secured.

i also have a Walmart $500, Cap 1 $500, Kohls $300, and JCP $500.  

thanks,

lg

In the garden until Dec 2014
Latoshia_gray@yahoo.com
Current: TU 621, EQ 564, EX 630
Goal: 670 across the board
Wallet: Cap 1 secured and unsecured, USAA AMEX secured, NFCU secured MC, Walmart, JCP, Kohl's, Victoria's Secret, Barclays
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
LearningMoreAboutCredit
Frequent Contributor

Re: Is there a such thing...?

@ttrations wrote:

Hi, is there a such thing as having too many secured cards?  I am in the rebuilding stage and I currently have the following secured cards: Cap 1 $200, NFCU $1400, and USAA Amex $1000.  I got these cards during the summer this year and was considering getting the USAA MC secured.

i also have a Walmart $500, Cap 1 $500, Kohls $300, and JCP $500.  

thanks,

lg

I think the three you have are enough...focus on aging current acounts and acquire unsecured cc down the line.

Edited to clarify statement.

Any advice given is always YMMV...

Current FICOs: 740+ across the board | Goal: >760 FICO | Total CLs: $63.3k/$60k Goal | Utilization: 19% | Last App: 05/01/2014 | INQ: EX: 10, EQ: 8, TU: 5, All Expire 06/2016; No Collections/Charge Offs/BK's | AAoA: 7yrs.
| All Reports Frozen!!! | No Apps til 12/2015 | Homeowner since: 06/28/13 | White Whales: Marriott Rewards, Discover IT, Sallie Mae WMC, Sams MC
Message 2 of 10
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

IMHO garden what you have. Once you let your cards and inquiries age you wont need secured cards.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 3 of 10
ttrations
Valued Member

Thanks for the advice!  To the garden I go...I will have to look up that thread Smiley Happy

lg

Latoshia_gray@yahoo.com
Wallet: Cap 1 secured and unsecured, USAA AMEX secured, NFCU secured MC, Walmart, JCP, Kohl's, Victoria's Secret, Barclays
Message 4 of 10
HeilFico
Regular Contributor

I agree with all the responses. In addition I feel like that $200 CapOne is doing you no good. You have another at $500. Might want to close it recover the cash and maybe add it to one of the others. Or pay off balances if any. 

Message 5 of 10
RyeBread
Established Member

I'd reccomend closing one card, taking the regained deposit, and then put it into another card. That way, you have a card with a higher limit reporting to the bureaus.

Current Score: EQ (Citi FICO) (3/23): 831, EX (Amex FICO) (4/23): 820, TU (Discover): 800

~$138k total CL, ~1% utilized
Message 6 of 10
ttrations
Valued Member

That is a great point. Never felt like adding additional money to that one would really benefit me.

Latoshia_gray@yahoo.com
Message 7 of 10
ttrations
Valued Member

the $200 secured Cap 1 is currently SD'd with no balance.  Will it be ok to close it and add that money to another card And will it negatively Iimpact my AAoA?

Latoshia_gray@yahoo.com
Message 8 of 10
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@ttrations wrote:

the $200 secured Cap 1 is currently SD'd with no balance.  Will it be ok to close it and add that money to another card And will it negatively Iimpact my AAoA?

Closed TLs may report up to 10 yrs on your CR's.  Closing now will not hurt your AAAOA 
Message 9 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@09Lexie wrote:

@ttrations wrote:

Closed TLs may report up to 10 yrs on your CR's.  Closing now will not hurt your AAAOA 

+1

Plus if you already have a set number of secured CCs (i.e. 2 or 3) then there should not be a need to acquire anymore in this fashion.  Once your overall profile improves over time, then you should be able to obtain some unsecured cards from some of the major banks.  It's possible they can start you off with s small CL, but as long as your foot is in the door, then they can grow over time.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.