cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there an unsecured card for a low to mid 500 credit score?

tag
jordanmedical
Established Contributor

Re: Is there an unsecured card for a low to mid 500 credit score?

The only reason I mentioned WalMARt was bc they approved me last year when my score was in the high 500s and I'm less than 100 from paying them off so was hoping they'd give me another shot.

Maybe I should just wait a month and see what happens with the PFD and DV's I sent out.

Oddly enough my EQ dropped after a 1500 charge off fell off.

-Rebuilding with CapOne Cash: $1.5k, NFCU cashRewards $8.5K, NavCheck $5K, Wal-Mart: $1.1K, Sam's: $1.2K, Amazon: $1.9K, Apple Barclay: $3K, Haverty's: $1.5K, GE capital: $5K, Sears: $250(AU), PP MC:$1.5K, CareCredit:$3K (closed 1st home 05/08/13)
Starting Score: 492-TU04, 480-EX FICO V2, 467-EQ Beacon 5 (Via Mortgage PreQual March '12)
Current Score: EX,EQ,TU (lender pull): 652, 659, 689, Walmart TU FICO: 691 (05/13)
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 11 of 19
namvet
Established Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

You show a Credit One Pre-Qual Score, Did you apply for it? if not, they are a great option for rebuilding... just watch your payments and send the money using your bank bill pay not their website or phone.

I would go to orchardbank and do the pre-qual and see if you get unsecure offer

same at capital one.

+1 

Message 12 of 19
treefrogger
New Contributor

Look for a credit union secured card.  Stay away from the First Premiers and the like.

Build a relationship with the credit union and you can go far in a comparatively short time.

What occurred to bring about this WM card closure?

Message 13 of 19
jordanmedical
Established Contributor

The WM Card was closed for being 60 days past due. My new job is what inspired me to gain control over my credit, I work for Chase. Eventually I plan to apply for a Freedom Card but I'm not there yet.
-Rebuilding with CapOne Cash: $1.5k, NFCU cashRewards $8.5K, NavCheck $5K, Wal-Mart: $1.1K, Sam's: $1.2K, Amazon: $1.9K, Apple Barclay: $3K, Haverty's: $1.5K, GE capital: $5K, Sears: $250(AU), PP MC:$1.5K, CareCredit:$3K (closed 1st home 05/08/13)
Starting Score: 492-TU04, 480-EX FICO V2, 467-EQ Beacon 5 (Via Mortgage PreQual March '12)
Current Score: EX,EQ,TU (lender pull): 652, 659, 689, Walmart TU FICO: 691 (05/13)
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 14 of 19
tdrjustus3
Regular Contributor

I was wondering how things are working out for you?  I am in that same position right now and need some encouragement.

No apps until 8/2014
March 2013 Starting FICO Score: EQ: 584 TU: 564 EX: ??
August 2013 Current FICO Scores: EQ:664 EX:684 Walmart TU: 666
Message 15 of 19
Chrisla2077
Established Contributor

I'm with you guys. I've been very frustrated. My PFDs have not worked much, and my quest for a secured card has been constantly denied, even for the Cap 1 secured. I need a car very soon but can't get approved for less than 25% interest and my salary is pretty low compared to many. The debt i incurred due to a job loss in 09 has ridiculous interest rates, judgements, and all. It's crazy. I did get a Fingerhut fresh start though- once you pay an installment loan with $30 down, you get an unsecured card. I bought something for 69.99 ... 86 with shipping, so I'm going to pay the DP on Friday and once they've credited that just pay the remaining amount a day or so later. The crap was way overpriced but i guess worth it for an unsecured line no one else will give me.

I'm going to try to put aside a little money for an unsecured at NFCU which i'm lucky enough to be a member of. I've also already opened a secured loan with them that has payments just over $20/month. Hopefully something works to get my scores up

Message 16 of 19
DiabolicallyRandom
Established Contributor

JC Penneys card is really easy to get.  A friend of mine just got one and her scores are in the low, very low 500's.

Message 17 of 19
jdirilo
Frequent Contributor

I got denied for jcp with scores in the 500's :-/ but I.never shop there anyway, so I'm.glad nfcu and.cap.one approved me instead.
Message 18 of 19
llecs
Moderator Emeritus
Moved:

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.