cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any advantage to responding to a mail offer?

tag
H14
Contributor

Is there any advantage to responding to a mail offer?

I received a mail offer for the Discover It card with a good apr and a signup bonus of 1k spend over 3 months for 100 back. 

Amazon however has an offer for this card here http://www.amazon.com/Discover-it%C2%AE/dp/B00AW3IXZO/

First purchase made qualifies you for a $75 gift card. [Though reviews seem to suggest the bonus is not guranteed.]

The amazon offer is preferrable to me, but I wonder if I'd lose out in some way foregoing the mail offer?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
gh17
Frequent Contributor

Re: Is there any advantage to responding to a mail offer?

@H14 wrote:

I received a mail offer for the Discover It card with a good apr and a signup bonus of 1k spend over 3 months for 100 back. 

Amazon however has an offer for this card here http://www.amazon.com/Discover-it%C2%AE/dp/B00AW3IXZO/

First purchase made qualifies you for a $75 gift card. [Though reviews seem to suggest the bonus is not guranteed.]

The amazon offer is preferrable to me, but I wonder if I'd lose out in some way foregoing the mail offer?

Just go with whatever makes sense to you.  $100 cash > $75 gift card obviously, but not if you can't easily get the $1000 spending in.

Also I agree the comments seem weird about people's offers not being guaranteed.

As an aside, I just went on chat and tried to convince them to give me a $75 gift card for forgetting to apply via that link when I got my card in April lol - they did not agree, but they did give me $20 cash back because I'm a valued cardmember Smiley Happy.

BofA Cash Rewards 25,000 (2009) | Citi Double Cash 25,000 (2011) | Cap1 Quicksilver 10,000 (2013) | Discover It 31,000 (2014) | Chase Freedom 9000 (2014) | Barclaycard Rewards 25,000 (2014)

FICO: 840 Discover/Barclays/BofA TU, 869 Citi Equifax
Message 2 of 5
H14
Contributor

Haha well done there. 

Thanks for your input!

Message 3 of 5
barthooper
Frequent Contributor

Darn, I got one of these today and was hoping it had the signing bonus. It doesn't seem to. I get a Discover IT offer about every week and they all seem the same.

Quicksilver - 16k | Discover It - 34k | Citi DC - $21k | Chase Amazon - 8k | Chase Reserve - 19.5k | Chase Preferred - 5k | EX FICO (Discover CSC) 788
Message 4 of 5
hyp0luxa
Regular Contributor

Discover is tricky in that they may determine that you don't qualify for the offer once they pull your credit, but still approve the card. They don't inform you if you didn't qualify for the bonus though.

Last TL/HP 7/29/2015 | Gardening till December 2015 at least...
AMEX PRG - NPSL | NASA Cash Rewards - 30k | NFCU Cash Rewards VS - 25k | AMEX Everyday - 18k |
Chase CSP 16.8k | BOA 3-2-1 VS - 12k | Fidelity AMEX - 12k | Citi Dividend - 11.3k | Barclays Sallie Mae WMC - 10k | PayPal Extras MC - 7.5k | WalMart MC- 7.5k | Cap1 QS One - 6k | Barclays Apple Visa - 5.7k | Chase Freedom VS - 5k
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.