cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any real benefit to a Visa Sig/WEMC?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is there any real benefit to a Visa Sig/WEMC?

Has anyone ever actually tried to use any of these benefits? Or on a slight tangent, has anyone ever tried to use these similar benefits on Amex cards? I've always been very reluctant to rely on these kind of card benefits (eg, the collision/loss waiver when renting a car) because of the potential hassle and possible repercussions (eg, account closure due to what the creditor may deem excessive, etc).

Message 31 of 39
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Has anyone ever actually tried to use any of these benefits? Or on a slight tangent, has anyone ever tried to use these similar benefits on Amex cards? I've always been very reluctant to rely on these kind of card benefits (eg, the collision/loss waiver when renting a car) because of the potential hassle and possible repercussions (eg, account closure due to what the creditor may deem excessive, etc).

The issuer just pays for the benefit to be used. The insurance is provided by Visa (or mastercard, or amex, or discover, or whoever) but is underwritten by an actual insurance company. 

Message 32 of 39
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

Are there any real world, everyday kind of benefits to a Visa Signature or a World Elite Mastercard? 

Review the benefits for any specific card (as they can vary) and see for yourself.  "Real benefit" is highly subjective.

@kdm31091 wrote:

There seems to be a strong desire by everyone to have cards converted, "make sure it's a Sig! Make sure it's a WEMC!" "PC to make sure you get a Sig!" etc, etc.

Sounds like a matter of "prestige" which doesn't come from a card to begin with.  Always consider your sources.

@kdm31091 wrote:

I have a Visa Signature and have not even once used any of the so-called benefits, but maybe I am missing something?

If you've reviewed the documentation on benefits that came with your card then you haven't missed anything.  Don't worry about hype.  Focus on what's important to you.

@Anonymous wrote:

Has anyone ever actually tried to use any of these benefits?

Sure, people have.  There are certainly prior discussions that you can reference.  However, whether others have or not doesn't matter.  It's whether or not you use them that matters.

@Anonymous wrote:

I've always been very reluctant to rely on these kind of card benefits (eg, the collision/loss waiver when renting a car) because of the potential hassle and possible repercussions (eg, account closure due to what the creditor may deem excessive, etc).

The programs also vary so you can't assume all benefits to be exactly the same.  Some are more hassle.  Some are less.  It's unlikely that your card would be closed due to a CDW claim.  It's insurance and like other insurance the house stacks the odds in its favor as they are a business and not a charity.

Message 33 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got $800 rental car damage waived through BoA visa sig before
Very useful feature and saves you $15/day damage waiver insurance offered by Rental car company
Only 4 out of 6 my siggy cards offers CDW
Message 34 of 39
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I got $800 rental car damage waived through BoA visa sig before
Very useful feature and saves you $15/day damage waiver insurance offered by Rental car company
Only 4 out of 6 my siggy cards offers CDW

When you add new card to siggy?

Signature needs updating
Message 35 of 39
ForumPheen
Regular Contributor

Another poster said it best:  if a card you carry can have better benefits (something which indeed is subjective), why not change to it.

One of my cards can be a WEMC, and I intend to change it as it will give me real spending power and not restrict me to the retail store's parameters.

Starting Score: EX 651/EQ 654/TU 668
Current Score: 735/721/732
Goal Score: 751 as lowest score by 8MAY15

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 36 of 39
uswala
Senior Contributor

The only advantage that I have enjoyed for my VS cards is using them on Fandango while they had a special promotion of buy 1 ticket and get one ticket free if you book using VS card Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

Message 37 of 39
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I agree as far as the "if its free why not change it" thing. Just some people seem really concerned about it. Lol
Message 38 of 39
LearningMoreAboutCredit
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I can buy $25 Fandango movie gift card for $20
thats about it

I thought all the Signature cards have same benefits but its not
Benefits differ from each card
I have 6 sig cards but only 3 of them offer Travel Accident insurance
2 of them doesn't offer Rental Car Damage Waiver
so its more important what kind of card you have and through what bank

Don't forget 2 for 1 movie tickets on Fridays for VS cardholders...that still exists right?

Any advice given is always YMMV...

Current FICOs: 740+ across the board | Goal: >760 FICO | Total CLs: $63.3k/$60k Goal | Utilization: 19% | Last App: 05/01/2014 | INQ: EX: 10, EQ: 8, TU: 5, All Expire 06/2016; No Collections/Charge Offs/BK's | AAoA: 7yrs.
| All Reports Frozen!!! | No Apps til 12/2015 | Homeowner since: 06/28/13 | White Whales: Marriott Rewards, Discover IT, Sallie Mae WMC, Sams MC
Message 39 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.