cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there something wrong with the Barclays AA card?

tag
Gregory1776
Valued Contributor

Re: Is there something wrong with the Barclays AA card?

@zerofirewrote:

The thing that is wrong is right there in the name. Barclaycard is run by Barclays who is the worlds most uptight banker. Try to get any card before them and you probably will get denied. Try to spree with them as one of the cards and you probably will get your new account limit decreased or closed, usually decreased.  They do not like to share you with anyone else if they have a say in it.

Exactly why hold off on Uber card. 3% on travel is 😎

Message 21 of 28
arkane
Established Contributor

@zerofirewrote:

The thing that is wrong is right there in the name. Barclaycard is run by Barclays who is the worlds most uptight banker. Try to get any card before them and you probably will get denied. Try to spree with them as one of the cards and you probably will get your new account limit decreased or closed, usually decreased.  They do not like to share you with anyone else if they have a say in it.

I wonder if a lot of Barclays' quirks can simply be chalked down to it being a British bank, and the Brits 

a) just aren't that crazy about credit, and

b) treat credit very differently compared to Americans 

I think this article provides some excellent insight: http://uk.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/uk-britain-credit-debit-card-statistics-international.php

@SouthJamaicawrote:

@red259

Over the last ten years debit card holding has increased by 45% while the number of credit and charge cards has declined by 14%. In contrast, the ATM-only card portfolio has halved to 11 million, mainly driven by the closure of dormant accounts and upgrades to debit cards.

While debit card holding has considerably grown over the last decade, credit card holding has been largely static. Around 51 million adults in the UK (96% of the population) have a debit card.

Around 32 million adults (60% of the population) have a credit card. Full-time employees are much more likely to hold both debit and credit cards than other groups. This is also true for those in higher income brackets compared to lower income brackets. Future cardholding growth is expected to be largely driven by population growth.

Around 80% of credit card spending is attributable to full payers, who in turn account for around 56% of the credit card holding population.

While credit card spending increased by £3.9 billion during 2016, borrowings increased by £3.2 billion. This gap highlights the fact that most spending was driven by full payers using their cards as a means of payment rather than for borrowing.

In 2016 on average a UK adult made four credit card payments each month and 18 debit card payments each month.

This seems to explain a lot about the AA we hear so often from Barclays. It seems a large majority of the AA stories have a few things in common:

a) BT (even if promoted by Barclays themselves)

b) carrying a balance instead of PIF

c) app sprees

which if going by that article would sound like completely alien (read: risky) behavior to the Brits. 

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 22 of 28
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

I wonder what the equivalent US numbers, especially purchases per month and value of purchase.

Message 23 of 28
morgacj2004
Valued Contributor

On my second one now however they have tightened up as of late and are both inquiry and new account sensitive.

AX Hilton Aspire 20k, AX Bonvoy Brilliant 15k, AX BCP 2k, AX Blue Bus Cash 15k, AX Delta Air Platinum 49k, (AU) AX Delta Gold 15k, AX Amazon Prime Bus 25k, BC Uber 29k, AKUSA FCU -10k , CITI AAdvantage Exec World Elite MC 16.5k, Discover (2) 16k, Kohls-4k, VS Comenity $3k, BofA AK Air Siggy 9.8k, WF Propel AX 5k, JCP $10k PFCU Plat Rewards Siggy 39.5k, PFCU Power Cash Rewards AX 10.5k, NFCU Flagship 50k, CLOC 15k, CITI Costco 9.5k, GAP VISA Synchrony $9k,Target MC 9k, Ulta MC Comenity 9k, Pay Pal 1k, CO Venture One 23k, US Bank Radisson Rewards Signature 10k, US Bank Fred Meyers World MC, 11k, US Bank Plat VISA 15.7k, VS Comenity 2k, 240k total available credit. Utiliz-2%, Current FICO EQ-724, EX 763,TU 802 ,Chapt 7 BK D/C 11-2012. Starting scores 520-550
Message 24 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

We have had several auto increases with Both of our Barclays cards.
Message 25 of 28
Jeffhacker
New Contributor

I have both the Barclays and Citi AA cards. I have had the AAdvantage Aviators Silver card for about five years (started with it when it was US Airways) with an initial $5,000 limit, now $12,000 (all Soft Pulls).  Only had the Citi AA card for a few months, $14,500 initial limit, so no experience as to CLI’s yet.  I have had no problems with the Barclays card; got the Citi one because they had a 60,000 mile bonus and I had a large purchase which met the limit for that imediately.   I would not hestitate to get the Barclays card; when I’ve needed to call them, I have always had good service, and not offshore

Message 26 of 28
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

@red259 wrote:

I was just approved for the CITI AA Card which is 65000 points with 4k spend in 4 months.  (If the card ever gets here).  Soon as I hit 6 months since my Barclay Arrrival + account opening I am going to get the Barclay AA card and get the 50k points.  The combined cards should net me two round trip tickets to Europe at a cost of 95 dollars.  

The test bookings I have done, with AA cards to Europe route through LHR, which to my understanding adds significant fuel surcharges for the ticket. There may be a way around it, but with British Airways as the preferred carrier for both American and Alaska Air, those fuel surcharges lower the value of the points, on those routes. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 27 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525wrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

@red259 wrote:

I was just approved for the CITI AA Card which is 65000 points with 4k spend in 4 months.  (If the card ever gets here).  Soon as I hit 6 months since my Barclay Arrrival + account opening I am going to get the Barclay AA card and get the 50k points.  The combined cards should net me two round trip tickets to Europe at a cost of 95 dollars.  

The test bookings I have done, with AA cards to Europe route through LHR, which to my understanding adds significant fuel surcharges for the ticket. There may be a way around it, but with British Airways as the preferred carrier for both American and Alaska Air, those fuel surcharges lower the value of the points, on those routes. 

Why would you book through British Airways if you have American Points? I ended up getting 3 round trips tickets to Europe for 60k miles. each and a 49 dollar fee. Just book directly with American.   British Airways to europe is pointless via miles.   

Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.