Is there such a thing as Amex loyalty

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is there such a thing as Amex loyalty

@Anonymous wrote:

that's amazing

that message was a reply to CAPTOOL

"Amex now owns me forever. Why? Because I burned them in a 1982 bankruptcy and not only did they let me back in, they gave me a 1980 MSD!!"

I was posting on my phone and it didn't quote.

Message 31 of 34
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I understand but respectfully disagree. It's obvious that a change occurred due to my history with them, however short. Maybe his argument has some merit with the fact that I'm not a longtime customer, and that a CSRs wording was wrong, but that's just splitting hairs without looking at the big picture. I hope I'm not sounding grouchy, but I was just trying to help op Smiley Happy

I understand you were trying to help, but in fact you made a stronger statement:

Moral of the story is: YES, AmEx does use relationship as a determining factor.

and this is the sort of thing that people then repeat outside of the context.   I don't think you have the evidence to support this.  I would agree that having a card, as with any issuer, will appear to make things easier with subsequent requests, but this is at least partly because you HAVE been approved, so your credit file is of the right type for that issuer anyway.

But I think the question concerns longer-term relationships:  many of us have had an Amex relationship of many years (not just including backdates!) and that is when a relationship might be clearer.  IMO there really isn't much (just the usual relectance of any company to lose a customer)  but it is hard for any individual to judge.

Message 32 of 34
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@taxi818 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
It just shows a trend of easier approvals and higher CLs

@jjneis. trust longtime lurker. first he is in the 850 club in scores. and  2nd. he is one of those 100k a month spenders. so he knows what he means with relationship with amex. Smiley Very Happy

Sadly no longer!  When my 6th card with a balance reported, my TU score dropped to 847.

(And for the record, never spend more than $50K a month, wasn't brave enough)

Message 33 of 34
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@red259 wrote:

Is there such a thing as Amex loyalty

I never assume that any corporation reciprocates loyalty.  I just use the products that are useful to me.

@red259 wrote:

I have seen in the past that people claim that amex will be a bit more lenient with established amex clients.

A lot of people also don't understand coincidental versus causal.  Is AmEx actually more lenient in such cases or did those people just have better credit after establising membership?  It's impossible for me to say as I don't have access to information to prove it one way or another.

Message 34 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.