Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there such at thing as "too much?"

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is there such at thing as "too much?"

cheddar and hauling - very interesting! thanks for the tid bit...wow...with all my darn student loans I'm getting close to 30...I have 20!
Message 11 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

cheddar wrote:

Cheech wrote:
Absolutely yes, small balances, but also balances on fewer than half of the cards. Having lots of cards with even $5 balances will get you zinged.

Once again, amazingly valuable information. Thanks, guys!

I didn't know that you should keep a balance on less than half your cards. I DO this, but I was actually starting to believe that I should put small balances on all of them, (putting them all back in play, as it were) because I thought "sock-drawering" them was bad. I guess I should rotate them?

I know I'm having no luck with customer service for cards that I haven't been using for a while, but they jump through hoops to make me happy on the ones I use frequently. Seems counterintuitive to me, but what do I know?

Yes, rotating them is a good idea.  That way all the issuers stay happy because yo're using their cards, and FICO stays happy because you don't have too many cards with a balance at one time.

The reason you get better CS with cards you use often is that CCCs LOVE it when you use their cards.  Each one of them wants to be the main card you carry in your wallet and use for all your everyday expenses.  They make money from merchant fees every time you swipe their cards, so they reward customers who use them often.

A factor I hadn't even considered!  I think I have new game plan in the works. . . Smiley Very Happy
Message 12 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pj1369 wrote:
cheddar and hauling - very interesting! thanks for the tid bit...wow...with all my darn student loans I'm getting close to 30...I have 20!

Well, I have a theory about consolidated student loans not counting towards lots of things for FICO scoring, but I have absolutely NO evidence to back it up other than anecdotal evidence based on my DF's reports and scores.

Basically, she has well over 30+ accounts (mostly consolidated SLs) and over $230K in SL debt (thanks to vet school).  When I enter all her info into the FICO score esitmator it tells me her score should be in the upper 600s.  In fact, though, her scores range from 760 to 775.

When I re-enter her info and exclude the SLs, the estimator predicts mid- to upper-700s, which is right on the money.

So, my THEORY is that the real FICO scoring formula does not treat SL accounts the same as other installment debt in a number of respects, but the score estimator isn't smart enough to know that.

Please do not quote me on this, because all I'm doing is speculating!

Message 13 of 21
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

You know, that's very possible! I had two student loans and got nary a peep when I paid them off. Then I got a car loan 2 months after closing the second SL, and got an atta-girl for having non-mortgage installment credit. I never got that when I only had SL's.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 14 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually, I noticed something to....I just finished paying off 4 of my 8 student loans and no FICO change!!! How odd...NONE at...you think I would've gotten something...1-2 points maybe, lol?

They are not consolidated...but still....hmmm....now I'm thinking...
Message 15 of 21
BallBounces
Valued Contributor

cheddar wrote:
 So, my THEORY is that the real FICO scoring formula does not treat SL accounts the same as other installment debt in a number of respects, but the score estimator isn't smart enough to know that.

Please do not quote me on this, because all I'm doing is speculating!

Let me toss my rampant speculation in the ring.  Based soley on the brief looks in to similar credit reports, it seems everything else being equal, those with more SLs in good standing (or paid) are a bit higher than those with out.  Again, purely anecdotal from my point of view.
050719:     
021924:     

FICO 08 scores listed and are stagnated until multiple derogatory items expire over the next two years.
Message 16 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I could have tested the SL theory if EQ did not think my old SL's were CFL's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Message 17 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I could have tested the SL theory if EQ did not think my old SL's were CFL's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that's rotten Timothy... on another note, let's say theoretically, I have 35 TLs on my CR. all good. 6 should have fallen of 18 months ago (10 yr aniv). do you think it be better to request the CRAs to drop the 6 to improve my score or keep the 6 since they are still reporting?
Message 18 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pj1369 wrote:

that's rotten Timothy... on another note, let's say theoretically, I have 35 TLs on my CR. all good. 6 should have fallen of 18 months ago (10 yr aniv). do you think it be better to request the CRAs to drop the 6 to improve my score or keep the 6 since they are still reporting?

being that old i would say they are contributing more to you average age of accounts and overall history, than they are hurting you. unless you have a very old and thick file.
Message 19 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

dnm45227 wrote:

Pj1369 wrote:

being that old i would say they are contributing more to you average age of accounts and overall history, than they are hurting you. unless you have a very old and thick file.

Completely agree with ducky!  The "too many accounts" ding is far less significant than the positive points you get for history and average age.

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.