Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this Fraud?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this Fraud?

I recieved a text message from "692639"  saying the following.

Congrats on your new American Express(R) Card. Here's the link you requested to download the Amex Mobile app: amex.co/amexmobile.

I havent applied for an Amex recently. I have gone on the Prequal site though. I also recieved a mailer from some Omaha National bank that has a Amex branded card. I just tossed it away. Google turns up nothing. Anyone hear of this happening. Thanks

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Is this Fraud?

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats on your new American Express(R) Card. Here's the link you requested to download the Amex Mobile app: amex.co/amexmobile.

I havent applied for an Amex recently. I have gone on the Prequal site though. I also recieved a mailer from some Omaha National bank that has a Amex branded card. I just tossed it away. Google turns up nothing. Anyone hear of this happening. Thanks

That sounds like a phishing expedition to me... I have multiple Amex cards and they've never reached out to me in that way.

The give-away is that you don't have a card with Amex.  If it were me I would promptly delete the text message (whatever you do don't click the link in the message... most likely it will take you somewhere other than where it says).

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

How old is your cell phone number? If it is more recent, it is probably a recycled number and someone may have old info on their profile. You can call Amex, and give them your phone number and they can help you out. They will delete the number if that's the case.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do have a Amex Blue Cash card. I've only had it a few months though. I'm reading up about Phishing now. I deleted the email just in case. The only issue is that the 6 digit "short number" is actually registered to Amex.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had my number for about 3 1/2 years.

Message 5 of 9
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

I got the same text after I was approved on one of my Amex cards - maybe you should call them and make sure that nobody has opened a new account in your name?

NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 6 of 9
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@fltireguy wrote:

I got the same text after I was approved on one of my Amex cards - maybe you should call them and make sure that nobody has opened a new account in your name?

+1

This is an excellent idea.

As for the short code being registered to Amex, that's no guarantee that the message came from them.  It's trivial to spoof phone numbers and it wouldn't surprise me to hear that short codes can be spoofed similarly (actually a quick search indicates that it's already a 'thing'). 

In any case, once you determine that nothing nefarious is going on with Amex (i.e. no account has been opened for you) you can relax since you deleted the message. 

Message 7 of 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Always good to be cautious. Hope it was nothing more than a phishing expo. Thanks for sharingSmiley Happy
Message 8 of 9
NRB525
Super Contributor

It's not fraud if there's no transaction involved Smiley Wink Phishing perhaps

but I doubt it is even Phishing. Since you have an AMEX card already, the next question is, did you add your mobile number to the AMEX website? That would enable them to send you the link via mobile.

My suggestion would be to go to the iTumes or Google App store, depending on your phone, and download the app from there directly. Then go through the set up procedures to authorize it correctly with AMEX.

Also, go to your AMEX account on their computer website (not mobile) to set up the various Notifications they have available. That will get them fully aware of how to contact you. Then if there really is someone trying to execute fraud on your account, or even a transaction type you are skeptical you will ever do, you will get notified of it on your phone in very short order. Even 'Card not present" is a nice notice to get, when you call in your number to buy something or buy something on-line. It will assure you that AMEX is watching, and you either initiated the transaction or you did not.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.