Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this Illegal?

tag
arrazola_a
Valued Member

Is this Illegal?

Yesterday i went into a furniture store and I filled out an application for GE credit. I watched the sales lady fax the paperwork and she came back and said we will have an answer in ten minutes or less. I said okay and waited then said sorry we have to use our in house option (which ends up being 2x the total cost) but doesnt know why. So i am assuming she faxed the paperwork to the "financing" dept  becuase i seen the email from another one of their stores saying " have them apply for our instore" WTH?? I called GE and they have no record at all of my application?? Can they just decide not to send in my application because they want to rip me off charging me 80% intrest ? If thats the case isnt that illegal? Could they be descriminating if so isnt that illegal?

Starting Score : 525
Current Score : EQ 673 TU 652 EX 673
Goal Score : 750 Across
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Re: Is this Illegal?

Well, it's their store and they can accept or refuse any kind of payments that they want.  This is not good business though, and so you may want to buy your furniture elsewhere.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 2 of 17
Vegas247
Established Contributor

@DaveSignal wrote:

Well, it's their store and they can accept or refuse any kind of payments that they want.  This is not good business though, and so you may want to buy your furniture elsewhere.

+1

$600 Barclaycard® Rewards MasterCard® - Average Credit $6500 Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express $30k credit card16k Chase Freedom® - $200 Bonus12k VSiggy
Message 3 of 17
CalAlumnus13
Contributor

I'm no attorney, but it might be some sort of fraud to indicate you were declined for credit from GE and only eligible for credit through the store, which had a higher rate. But is it worth a fight over? Absolutely not. Find a store that doesn't operate with those tactics.

FICOs: EX (per Amex, 1/20/18): 830 | TU (per Discover, 1/20/18): 817

Wallet: Discover It $35.5k | Amex EveryDay $25k | Chase Freedom Unlimited $19.5k | Chase Freedom $8.5k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $8.5k | Amex BCE $7.7k

Drawer: Hella More
Message 4 of 17
arrazola_a
Valued Member

I just feel exposed i gave them my GF and my own SSN all our personal info and then they just say nah nevermind?? Something doesnt seem right to me..

Message 5 of 17
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@arrazola_a wrote:

Yesterday i went into a furniture store and I filled out an application for GE credit. I watched the sales lady fax the paperwork and she came back and said we will have an answer in ten minutes or less. I said okay and waited then said sorry we have to use our in house option (which ends up being 2x the total cost) but doesnt know why. So i am assuming she faxed the paperwork to the "financing" dept  becuase i seen the email from another one of their stores saying " have them apply for our instore" WTH?? I called GE and they have no record at all of my application?? Can they just decide not to send in my application because they want to rip me off charging me 80% intrest ? If thats the case isnt that illegal? Could they be descriminating if so isnt that illegal?

what furniture store?

what company financing are they offering?

Message 6 of 17
arrazola_a
Valued Member

@Creditaddict wrote:

@arrazola_a wrote:

what furniture store?

what company financing are they offering?

A local store. There are trying to offer me some crappy no credit check option. the asking price is 1850 with taxes and delivery but with their 12 month option it comes out to a little over 3600.

Message 7 of 17
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

You are not obligated to take their financing.  You could purchase without financing, if you have the money.  You could get your own loan through a bank or credit union and then use that to pay for the furniture.  Or you could use a credit card, if you have one.

But, if you don't like the store business practices, you might not want to give them your business.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 8 of 17
koalablue
Frequent Contributor

@arrazola_a wrote:

I agree with others who have said it may not be illegal, but its a lousy business practice.  Write a negative review for them on Yelp and then find another furniture store for your purchase.

Message 9 of 17
sexy_kitten7
Regular Contributor

If you're positive it was "submitted" to GE and GE has no record, that is fishy. Did you get a receipt for the decline?

If this isn't some sort of innocent error, I would write your State's Attorney General. They could investigate or at least open a file on this company. BBB might be helpful too!

Quicksilver MC / Amazon.com / Better Balance Rewards Visa / Freedom / Dividend / Quicksilver Visa / Cash+ / Thank You Preferred / Blue Cash Everyday / Better Balance Rewards MC / BankAmericard HRC Cash Rewards / It / Arrival / FlexPerks / Platinum AAdvantage / MileagePlus Explorer / LifeMiles
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.