Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this Illegal?

tag
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Is this Illegal?

@DaveSignal wrote:

Well, it's their store and they can accept or refuse any kind of payments that they want.  This is not good business though, and so you may want to buy your furniture elsewhere.

+1.

You can also double check to see if the store employee mistyped your SSN or some info which resulted in the app not being processed correctly. Other than that, best to just leave things as is simply because it's just too much trouble for what it's worth if you decide to pursue it any further. Just take your business elsewhere and forget about the whole thing. If you are pissed off enough, write a review on yelp. I doubt a BBB complain will help much, especially since its just a small local business.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 11 of 17
arrazola_a
Valued Member

Yeah im just going to let this one be... I called back to follow up and one of the workers there looked up my name and said i was approved for 3K through GE  . I LOL and said how is that possible if my application was never submitted?? He couldnt answer me and a manager is supposed to call me on friday. Oh well its too bad they had an awesome couch i really wanted.

Starting Score : 525
Current Score : EQ 673 TU 652 EX 673
Goal Score : 750 Across
Message 12 of 17
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@sexy_kitten7 wrote:

If you're positive it was "submitted" to GE and GE has no record, that is fishy. Did you get a receipt for the decline?

If this isn't some sort of innocent error, I would write your State's Attorney General. They could investigate or at least open a file on this company. BBB might be helpful too!

+1.  As enharu suggested, a Yelp review might be even more effective, but at least something was registered.  I wouldn't give this place my business. 

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 13 of 17
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@arrazola_a wrote:

Yeah im just going to let this one be... I called back to follow up and one of the workers there looked up my name and said i was approved for 3K through GE  . I LOL and said how is that possible if my application was never submitted?? He couldnt answer me and a manager is supposed to call me on friday. Oh well its too bad they had an awesome couch i really wanted.

Hmmm.  Maybe the employee was just shady, then.  I'd definitely have a word with the manager.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 14 of 17
enharu
Super Contributor

@arrazola_a wrote:

few possibilities.

1. when you called GE your application wasn't in the systems yet, and may be awaiting processing by a underwriter. Some companies still do things the old fashioned way, and it takes time to input your info into the systems if the app is mailed or faxed in.

2. they messed up on your info and had to correct it.

Try calling GE again later today or tomorrow.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 15 of 17
john398
Senior Contributor

I would think that if maybe they are using some kind of profiling for there financing that would be wrong (could be illegal but I am not a lawyer) however I was not there so have no idea, its kind of like the car salesman that gives more attention to the guy  in the suuit than the guy in old pair of jeans, that would not be illegal but I would think it would be illegal to only offer the best terms to the guy in the suit, they really need to base thier deccisions on credit worthlyness and not on appearence

Message 16 of 17
arrazola_a
Valued Member

@john398 wrote:

I would think that if maybe they are using some kind of profiling for there financing that would be wrong (could be illegal but I am not a lawyer) however I was not there so have no idea, its kind of like the car salesman that gives more attention to the guy  in the suuit than the guy in old pair of jeans, that would not be illegal but I would think it would be illegal to only offer the best terms to the guy in the suit, they really need to base thier deccisions on credit worthlyness and not on appearence

I feel like that had a big part in it. Im young and so is my GF we are both 19 but we are fairly responsibe and have a decent income (60k) more than enough to pay for those. We always get the feeling lenders are looking down at us. Anyways its not worth the fight unless the manger can cut the price in half and i can pay cash. Most likely not going to happen but thanks for all the info !!

Starting Score : 525
Current Score : EQ 673 TU 652 EX 673
Goal Score : 750 Across
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.