Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a good idea or bad idea?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this a good idea or bad idea?

I am moving to an apartment soon.  I can put rent and utilities on a credit card.  I want to do this to get miles on my Amex Delta.  Would it be better if I tried for Green or Zync for this purpose?  Just wondering if you guys had any experience on which rewards are better.

I should say that I was CLD (from 2000 to 1100) by Amex about 6 months after I got the card, for stuff that was already on my report when they approved me.  I got the card in 2008.  Just wondering if this would make a difference.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Is this a good idea or bad idea?

As long as you paid in full after making the charges, I think Amex would like to see this much activity on your account

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe I am better off using the card I have.  Since I would normally pay rent and utilites with "cash", paying them off each month isn't an issue.

Message 3 of 6
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Maybe I am better off using the card I have.  Since I would normally pay rent and utilites with "cash", paying them off each month isn't an issue.

I think it is better to push it all through 1 card and maximize the rewards.    You don't need another annual fee.

Message 4 of 6
Tazman81
Established Contributor

Does your rental company charge you a fee to put the rent on a credit card?  Most will to ofset the fee they have to pay.  Also, You may want to try it once, and then see how it shows up on your account.  Some places that you can use credit cards to pay for such as rent and loan payment actually run it through your card as a cash advance.  Then you could be hit with hefty fees from the credit card company and a higher interest rate.  I would be very skeptical about using your card to pay something like rent.  If there is a fee that they charge you, then I am sure it will outweight the points you receive through AMEX.  And if it is processed as a cash advance, then you will not receive points on it anyway.

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Tazman81 wrote:

Does your rental company charge you a fee to put the rent on a credit card?  Most will to ofset the fee they have to pay.  Also, You may want to try it once, and then see how it shows up on your account.  Some places that you can use credit cards to pay for such as rent and loan payment actually run it through your card as a cash advance.  Then you could be hit with hefty fees from the credit card company and a higher interest rate.  I would be very skeptical about using your card to pay something like rent.  If there is a fee that they charge you, then I am sure it will outweight the points you receive through AMEX.  And if it is processed as a cash advance, then you will not receive points on it anyway.

I didn't think about that.  I might try it once and see how things go.  I know there is a fee, but I'm not sure what that is, yet.  Maybe I'll just it for the utilities.

Thanks!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.