cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a one in a million credit card problem?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is this a one in a million credit card problem?

Make a complaint through the BBB and the government office that regulates them, they are a national bank so the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency is the responsible to regulate them, you can file a complaint with them about this.

Message 21 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey you won't believe this but the same thing happened to me.  I spoke with the attorney general's office and was given a number to call to open a complaint and investigations.

I expect the fraud department at BofA is well aware of this and you should call them directly to complain.

I am furious as I'm sure you are but was glad to know I'm not alone in this mess.

Message 22 of 48
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey you won't believe this but the same thing happened to me.  I spoke with the attorney general's office and was given a number to call to open a complaint and investigations.

I expect the fraud department at BofA is well aware of this and you should call them directly to complain.

I am furious as I'm sure you are but was glad to know I'm not alone in this mess.

@Anonymous wrote:

Wow.....

To the 3 posters in this situation, were they all secured cards that got closed down?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 23 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ryvision, I meant to ask you - what department at the Bank was finally able to help you get your card opened again?

Message 24 of 48
RyVision
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Ryvision, I meant to ask you - what department at the Bank was finally able to help you get your card opened again?

We had to call a number that came up on the account screen when we couldn't make a payment or check rewards etc. It said:

"There was a problem processing your request.
Due to the status of your account, we are unable to service your request. For assistance, call 1.800.732.9194. Outside the U.S., call toll free 1.888.801.3723 or collect 1.757.677.4701. For small business cards, call 1.888.449.2273. Outside the U.S., call collect 1.509.353.6656.

Please note: You can view your Bank of America Credit Card account statement by going to the Accounts Overview tab, selecting the appropriate credit card account, and choosing the My Statements tab."

So we called 3 times (weeks apart), each time told we'd hear back from that dept. within 24 to 48 hours. Never heard back. Called them and explained they never called back and finally found out it was a fraud alert, answered a bunch of questions, were told they removed the hold. They hadn't, Called again a week later, same thing, same questions, said they released the hold, they hadn't. Called yet again after a couple weeks or so, asked for a supervisor, again smiliar questions, said they'd release the hold, and finally the person knew what they were doing and account went to normal.  Original CL of 15k unchanged, promos unchanged and rewards were there as expected. They just weren't very organized in getting things done. All this due to using the card in a couple gas pumps that I think they even list in their rewards info (they didn't know who or what the company was).

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 25 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

This sounds completely ridiculous. I'm glad my BofA card only has $300, I'd be livid if they tried to freeze my card, but at least with $300 it's not going to be the end of the world.

Reminds me of when I was trying to get Cap One to update my SSN on an account. A handful of calls and faxes and 3 weeks later and nothing was resolved. It wasn't until I emailed the CEO and had someone from the Executive Customer Service office call me that they got it fixed - immediately. I'm not sure how to get a hold of BofA's executive office (assuming they even have one - they probably ran off with all the money they got already), but that would be where I'd try to turn with an issue like this.

Message 26 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

To answer your question - I'm not certain what you mean by a secured card.  In my case it was a brand new UPromise credit card (the one that helps save for college) with a big limit where I had almost nothing on it and was making on time payments.  Someone simply wrote to BofA - Upromise and said they were working on my behalf to consolidate my debts and requested the card be closed.  And without so much as a phone call, the card was closed.

Message 27 of 48
vizon
Regular Contributor

Wow - this is really scary. Since it has happened to 3 people here expect a class action!

Message 28 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit card closed again without my authorization!!!

Last year my UPromise credit card was closed without my authorization by BofA.  I went to the AG and a case was opened.  The company that was able to close my card without my authorization was Modern Money Mechanics.  They are a debt settlement agency or so they say.  I am not in any debt settlement programs.  So here is the kicker.  I just got a new BofA credit card for travel in July and in October it was closed because Modern Money Mechanics sent a letter again and BofA simply closed my account without checking with me and without protecting me for the SECOND time!!!

What can I do to protect myself?

Message 29 of 48
swpopham
Established Contributor

Re: Credit card closed again without my authorization!!!

http://getoutofdebt.org/tag/modern-money-mechanics/

http://getoutofdebt.org/46253/bank-of-america-consumer-complaint-9-27-2012   full complaint here

this is all I can find on this so far. Its nothing yet but we can start helping gather evidence or other victims in this case

"As long as the music is playing, you've got to get up and dance," he said. "We're still dancing."---Prince CEO Citi Bank

"Money isn't the most important thing in life, but it's reasonably close to oxygen on the "gotta have it" scale". ~Zig Ziglar
Message 30 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.