cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a one in a million credit card problem?

Valued Contributor

Re: Credit card closed again without my authorization!!!


bahbahd wrote:

bs1234 wrote:

Later, I converted my BofA account to the simplest e-checking one, and moved nearly all of the money out to an internet bank.   To my surprise, last week, my BofA account shows a $35 credit: "Wire transfer fee credit"

 


May I ask what internet banks (IB) you know of and trust? I still use a B&M bank, but would contemplate switching to an IB if they had outstanding customer service.


American Express, ING Direct, and Ally ALL have OUTSTANDING CS - IMO and experience.

 

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014 750+
3/2017 780+
5/2017 800+
Message 41 of 48
Regular Contributor

Re: Credit card closed again without my authorization!!!


distantarray wrote:

bank of america is a fken joke. always looking for new fees carries no documentation and even calling the swat team on their customers. why people still do business with them i have no clue.


+1000000 BofA are crooks. Will never do business with them.

Amex Everyday 6k || Chase Sapphire 5k || Buypower Card 5k || USAA Wounded Warrior Mastercard 4k || Citi TYP 4.9k|| Citi Forward 5.5k || Discover It 2k || Chase Freedom 5.5k || Walmart 1k || Chase Amazon 1k
Business: Chase ink cash 5k || AMEX Simply Cash 3.8k
Total CLs: 48.7k
Message 42 of 48
Established Contributor

Re: Credit card closed again without my authorization!!!


Repo-ed wrote: American Express, ING Direct, and Ally ALL have OUTSTANDING CS - IMO and experience.

 

You are referring to AMEX personal savings, right? Interesting option. I'm interested in an IB that I could occasionally write checkes from and use a debit card also.

Message 43 of 48
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit card closed again without my authorization!!!


bahbahd wrote:

Repo-ed wrote: American Express, ING Direct, and Ally ALL have OUTSTANDING CS - IMO and experience.

 

You are referring to AMEX personal savings, right? Interesting option. I'm interested in an IB that I could occasionally write checkes from and use a debit card also.


I think all or nearly all IBs will provide a free debit card.  Amex personal savings is a savings rather than a checking account.  From their site:

 

 

Call us at 1-800-446-6307 to request a withdrawal, and we will mail you a check that is payable to you. We are happy to provide this service, but we do not offer checkbooks for Personal Savings customers to write checks directly from their High-Yield Savings or CD accounts.

 


ING Direct was purchased by Capital One, so things might change, and below $50K, the checking interest rate is bad (0.19%)  Goes to a much better 0.79-0.84% at levels above $50K

 

Ally has a lot of supporters.

Message 44 of 48
Frequent Contributor

Re: Credit card closed again without my authorization!!!

Slightly old-ish thread but I'll toss my two cents in here. Smiley Happy

 

I avoid BoA like the plague.  I spend enough time reading Consumerist.com to know better than to go near that bank.  They've started sending me card preapprovals lately.  They go right through the shredder!

 

I have been a happy ING Direct customer for 11 years but have backed away from them since Capital One took over.  I haven't noticed any changes personally, but it's only a matter of time.  I do have an account with Ally.  Their mobile banking sucks big time, and their web site isn't much better, but they aren't half bad over the phone.

 

While not strictly an Internet bank, my vote goes to Alliant Credit Union.  They're pretty popular here and I've got to say I'm in love with them after less than a month.  They do offer 24-hour telephone customer service, and their e-mail support has been pretty responsive too.

5/2002 - Chapter 7
7/2011 - Equifax FICO 693
5/2012 - Equifax FICO 812! In the "800 Club!"
2/2013 - Lender-pulled EQ FICO 821 (car loan)
7/2014 - Lender-pulled EQ FICO 832 (car loan)
Message 45 of 48
Moderator Emerita

Re: Credit card closed again without my authorization!!!


steve23111 wrote:

Slightly old-ish thread but I'll toss my two cents in here. Smiley Happy

 

I avoid BoA like the plague.  I spend enough time reading Consumerist.com to know better than to go near that bank.  They've started sending me card preapprovals lately.  They go right through the shredder!

 

I have been a happy ING Direct customer for 11 years but have backed away from them since Capital One took over.  I haven't noticed any changes personally, but it's only a matter of time.  I do have an account with Ally.  Their mobile banking sucks big time, and their web site isn't much better, but they aren't half bad over the phone.

 

While not strictly an Internet bank, my vote goes to Alliant Credit Union.  They're pretty popular here and I've got to say I'm in love with them after less than a month.  They do offer 24-hour telephone customer service, and their e-mail support has been pretty responsive too.


This thread just confirms my feelings for BoA. I closed every account (checking, saving, IRA) about 20 years ago and never looked back! 

I opened an ING account in 2007 but when I heard Capital One bought them - I couldn't see anything positive forthcoming from that union so I reacted proactively - I received my last statement was received two weeks ago.

I have been with DCU since 2005- yes I wish they had 24 hour customer service but honestly, I really haven't had a problem.

Based on the advice of my fellow posters, I recently opened an account with Alliant.  So far, I have no complaints.

Message 46 of 48
New Contributor

Re: Credit card closed again without my authorization!!!


09Lexie wrote:

steve23111 wrote:

Slightly old-ish thread but I'll toss my two cents in here. Smiley Happy

 

I avoid BoA like the plague.  I spend enough time reading Consumerist.com to know better than to go near that bank.  They've started sending me card preapprovals lately.  They go right through the shredder!

 

I have been a happy ING Direct customer for 11 years but have backed away from them since Capital One took over.  I haven't noticed any changes personally, but it's only a matter of time.  I do have an account with Ally.  Their mobile banking sucks big time, and their web site isn't much better, but they aren't half bad over the phone.

 

While not strictly an Internet bank, my vote goes to Alliant Credit Union.  They're pretty popular here and I've got to say I'm in love with them after less than a month.  They do offer 24-hour telephone customer service, and their e-mail support has been pretty responsive too.


This thread just confirms my feelings for BoA. I closed every account (checking, saving, IRA) about 20 years ago and never looked back! 

I opened an ING account in 2007 but when I heard Capital One bought them - I couldn't see anything positive forthcoming from that union so I reacted proactively - I received my last statement was received two weeks ago.

I have been with DCU since 2005- yes I wish they had 24 hour customer service but honestly, I really haven't had a problem.

Based on the advice of my fellow posters, I recently opened an account with Alliant.  So far, I have no complaints.


Congratulations for your Credit Union support. CU Terms & Conditions are superior when  compared with Big banks.

Message 47 of 48
Contributor

Re: Is this a one in a million credit card problem?

After spending a week looking/reading reviews I went with charles schwab... Need an investment account, but don't need to invest. Debit card comes with insurance, pay post the evening before, interest on checking, free overdraft (because of that they do a hard pull!) not had a single issue- all reps based in the US and speaks English.
Message 48 of 48