Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a pre-approval?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this a pre-approval?

In the last week, I recieved both of these letters in the mail: PNC Points Visa and Sheetz Visa.

I get one of the PNC letters about once every month, and they usually follow up with an email about a week later. The Sheetz card came in the mail yesterday. It just figures that after I move to Kansas, I get credit card offers from Pennsylvania.

Are these pre-approval letters or are they just general letters asking me to apply? I'm not really interested in the Sheetz card, because I don't live near their gas stations anymore, but I'm interested in eventually getting a PNC card. I've looked at their CashBuilder card, and I'd be eligible to get 1.5% cash back on everything based on my current accounts with them. Am I more likely to be approved for the card if I use their offer code? Does anybody know much about PNC credit cards?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is this a pre-approval?

General marketing letters, not pre approvals.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Is there a way to tell? I just guessed they were pre-approvals because they had the special offer code.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Is there a way to tell? I just guessed they were pre-approvals because they had the special offer code.

The APR should be set not ranging from 11.99% -22.99%... I am just using that as an example.  A true pre-approval will give you a set APR.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

And will also mention somewhere about pre-screened offers and opting out.
Message 5 of 10
Luscher
Valued Contributor

Honestly, you already have better cards then those ones, I wouldn't waste my time with those
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

In the last week, I recieved both of these letters in the mail: PNC Points Visa and Sheetz Visa.

I get one of the PNC letters about once every month, and they usually follow up with an email about a week later. The Sheetz card came in the mail yesterday. It just figures that after I move to Kansas, I get credit card offers from Pennsylvania.

Are these pre-approval letters or are they just general letters asking me to apply? I'm not really interested in the Sheetz card, because I don't live near their gas stations anymore, but I'm interested in eventually getting a PNC card. I've looked at their CashBuilder card, and I'd be eligible to get 1.5% cash back on everything based on my current accounts with them. Am I more likely to be approved for the card if I use their offer code? Does anybody know much about PNC credit cards?

I just happened to apply for the Sheetz Visa because, as you know Sheetz is on every street corner in PA now. I liked the idea of 5 cents off in addition to the 3 cents off from the regular Sheetz reward card. So, I applied and was rejected due to too many HP recently. The very next day I got the exact letter you did so I called them and said, hey I was just turned down online for the card and this came in the mail. She said, they always take you if you get the letter, so she recommended I apply for it with the special code at the bottom right of the letter. Lo and behold I was turned down again. So, it's not an automatic thing. If you're in Kansas, I don't think there are Sheetz down there, although they were all over I-81 in MD/VA/NC when I was down there last week, so you never know.

Message 7 of 10
Luscher
Valued Contributor

WAWA > Sheetz Smiley Happy
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Luscher wrote:

Yeah, that's great and all except I don't know what the heck a WAWA is... or a Sheetz for that matter.  Is that like being "Tha Sheetz"?  

Middle/Easterners sure are a different bird from us West Coasters Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Luscher wrote:

Hands down - SHEETZ. Not a fan of WAWA at all.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.