Reply
New Contributor
Posts: 70
Registered: ‎01-14-2009
0

Is this even LEGAL?!?!

I started really paying off my Chase Amazon visa lately and this month they started to lower my limit.  But they lowered it more than my finance charge will be on my next bill which usually posts the 15th (tomorrow)!!!

 

So I basically payed almost 3 TIMES my minimum payment, and now they lowered my limit SO MUCH that I will overdraft on interest when my bill posts tomorrow!

 

I called them today but they told me to call back during business hours to talk to a credit specialist. 

Is doing this even legal?  They are practically forcing an overdraft!!  What the heck?!?

 

 

Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,754
Registered: ‎11-03-2007
0

Re: Is this even LEGAL?!?!

Unfortunately, this is perfectly legal.
IN VINO VERITAS.
New Contributor
Posts: 70
Registered: ‎01-14-2009
0

Re: Is this even LEGAL?!?!

Really?  It's ludicrous.  I don't mind having my credit limit lowered, but how can they lower it to less than what my finance charge will be, just a few days before a statement is printed?

 

That's just as bad as moving payment due dates around without telling you!  It makes no sense whatsoever!

 

Does this happen to a lot of people?

Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,668
Registered: ‎02-18-2009
0

Re: Is this even LEGAL?!?!

Find a Chase Bank and make a cash payment. That usually credits immediately.
Signature line begins:
Credit is not a right, but a business transaction, one that takes into account risk, and charges accordingly based on that risk.
Your credit score is an aspect of your credit profile. Important? yes but just an aspect. Contributing/supplemental information determines the finer point of the deal. Ask any question, respect me not to get mad if the answer is not the affirmation you are looking for,
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 403
Registered: ‎04-08-2009
0

Re: Is this even LEGAL?!?!


bogfrog wrote:

I started really paying off my Chase Amazon visa lately and this month they started to lower my limit.  But they lowered it more than my finance charge will be on my next bill which usually posts the 15th (tomorrow)!!!

 

So I basically payed almost 3 TIMES my minimum payment, and now they lowered my limit SO MUCH that I will overdraft on interest when my bill posts tomorrow!

 

I called them today but they told me to call back during business hours to talk to a credit specialist. 

Is doing this even legal?  They are practically forcing an overdraft!!  What the heck?!?

 

 


Shady:smileysad:....but very much legal, as one other person stated, head to a Chase bank and make a payment in person and it will post immediately or should.

 

King

Equifax 787, TransUnion 793, Experian ? FAKO--> Who Cares
New Contributor
Posts: 70
Registered: ‎01-14-2009
0

Re: Is this even LEGAL?!?!

Even if I post an extra payment, who's to say they won't just lower it more and still force an overdraft on the interest?  They could just keep doing this and force an overdraft fee on me every month!!!!  How would I be able to deal with that?

 

Unfortunately there is no Chase bank within 50 miles of me, according to their online branch finder.  So I can't go make a second payment.  I can just do it online.

 

These are borderline mafia tactics. I make a huge payment and then they squeeze in the limit so close that my next statement will overdraft on the interest charge?   Even if it's technically legal, it shocks me that they can get away with this kind of BS.   :smileymad:

 

 

Frequent Contributor
Posts: 403
Registered: ‎04-08-2009
0

Re: Is this even LEGAL?!?!

[ Edited ]

bogfrog wrote:

Even if I post an extra payment, who's to say they won't just lower it more and still force an overdraft on the interest?  They could just keep doing this and force an overdraft fee on me every month!!!!  How would I be able to deal with that?

 

Unfortunately there is no Chase bank within 50 miles of me, according to their online branch finder.  So I can't go make a second payment.  I can just do it online.

 

These are borderline mafia tactics. I make a huge payment and then they squeeze in the limit so close that my next statement will overdraft on the interest charge?   Even if it's technically legal, it shocks me that they can get away with this kind of BS.   :smileymad:

 

 


I think you may be out of GAS....I'm sorry to hear that, 50 miles.....wow. Chase is just one of those Banks out there that don't want you to pay off anything to quickly. They want to make money on you from you carrying that balance, and if you don't carry a nice balance they punish you by doing these very things that are happening too you now. It may be out of your hands, I would pay it off and retire that card, DON'T close it....just retire it. Chase you should be ashamed of yourself.:smileysad:

 

Keep your head up :smileywink:

King

Message Edited by 74king on 06-14-2009 11:35 AM
Equifax 787, TransUnion 793, Experian ? FAKO--> Who Cares
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,668
Registered: ‎02-18-2009
0

Re: Is this even LEGAL?!?!

Honestly: look if your finance charges do cause you to go overlimit and incurr a fee, you can call them and I am about 99% sure they will credit the fee back.


They arent that bad.

 

I have had them credit late fees (i forgot to pay)and overlimit fees ( i went over by $1.00 before) in the past.

 

Signature line begins:
Credit is not a right, but a business transaction, one that takes into account risk, and charges accordingly based on that risk.
Your credit score is an aspect of your credit profile. Important? yes but just an aspect. Contributing/supplemental information determines the finer point of the deal. Ask any question, respect me not to get mad if the answer is not the affirmation you are looking for,
New Contributor
Posts: 70
Registered: ‎01-14-2009
0

Re: Is this even LEGAL?!?!


usmc58555 wrote:

Honestly: look if your finance charges do cause you to go overlimit and incurr a fee, you can call them and I am about 99% sure they will credit the fee back.


They arent that bad.

 

I have had them credit late fees (i forgot to pay)and overlimit fees ( i went over by $1.00 before) in the past.

 


Hopefully you're right.  I'm gonna call them first thing in the morning.  I also just made an extra online payment that would be more than enough to cover the interest when it posts tomorrow. I guess that probably won't credit on time, but I just want to prove I'm doing everything I in my power not to incurr that overdraft fee.

New Contributor
Posts: 70
Registered: ‎01-14-2009
0

Re: Is this even LEGAL?!?!


74king wrote:

 

you to pay off anything to quickly. They want to make money on you from you carrying that balance, and if you don't carry a nice balance they punish you by doing these very things that are happening too you now.



 
But aren't they starved for cash right now?  For example, Citi offered me this free program that rewards you for being ontime and paying down your balances over the next 6 months.  They pay you 10% back of everything you pay over those next 6 months (up to $500).  Pretty sweet deal.  It's obvious they want to raise some cash, or else they wouldn't do this.  I don't know why Chase is doing the opposite. 

 

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.