Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this even legal?

tag
RyVision
Valued Contributor

Re: Is this even legal?

TCarson;  I would seriously consider calling Citi about the issue of the time you had their system pull the money (it's stated on that site when it will be credited to your account also) and when they actually applied it. Explain to them you're concerned about the interest during those few days and are wondering if they system "self corrects" to post the payment as you requested through them.  I've run into this before with other cards and called and had no problem. I've never run into this with Citi even though they're not my favorite CC LOL.

It does say if they receive your request before 5 p.m. EST they will credit your account that day, if after 5 p.m. they will credit the next day. There is a terms and conditions link in that notice you might want to review as well (I did not read that far into it, nor do I think it would affect your payment as you described).

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 11 of 19
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

These banks have to make $$$ if you are moving funds around. I don't see anything illegal about it. But yes.....100s of thousands of customers doing this and it's alot of $$$, but it's a drop in the bucket for them. If they don't make $$$ than they really can't extend credit to you and me and everybody else Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 19
dharalex
Established Contributor

I pay both from my banks pay system as well as online with Citi. Citi is by far the fastest way to make the payment. If I pay through my bank, they take the funds 48 hrs prior to the date I designate to pay. They consider it processing time. If you want it applied same day, you should just use the Citi website to pay. I think you are limited to only 4 payments a month...someone will surely chime in if that is inaccurate.

Starting Score: TU:676;EQ:648 8/2011
Current Score: TU:738; EQ: 739 ;EX: 729 6/2012
Goal Score: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Current Score: 800
Goal Score: 850

Message 13 of 19
john398
Senior Contributor

@dharalex wrote:
I pay both from my banks pay system as well as online with Citi. Citi is by far the fastest way to make the payment. If I pay through my bank, they take the funds 48 hrs prior to the date I designate to pay. They consider it processing time. If you want it applied same day, you should just use the Citi website to pay. I think you are limited to only 4 payments a month...someone will surely chime in if that is inaccurate.

+1 for using citi's site I belive it should be posted the same day by using Citis site as  long as its by 1pm central

Message 14 of 19
RyVision
Valued Contributor

Details from a Citi online payment through them:

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do all my bill pay online through my bank WF. The only thing that annoys me with WF is the time it takes to make electronic payments. I have this account from more than 6 years now when it was Wachovia and through Wachovia when I scheduled my online payment all my CC/ utilities recieved the payment next day (for e.g. schedule the pmt for monday, shows as pending on tuesday on my CC account and cleared on Wed) whereas after when WF took over it now normally takes 4-5 business day for "Electronic Payment".

Also I have noticed coule of times that my direct deposit was held at times on few instances specifically when I was runnign low on balance or the balance would be posted from high to low (may be they are sneeking way to charge me over draft fees.

Also it has happened on few instances that when I use my debit card the charge would show up the same day and would vanish from online account for few days and than will appear in 3-4 days when the transaction is cleared.

These banks are trying hard to charge us fees.

Message 16 of 19
chan85
Established Contributor

@RyVision wrote:

Details from a Citi online payment through them:

I work for BOA and when we say "credit your payment for the same day" it means, we count that you made your payment on that date, but the funds may not post to your account until 24-48 hrs later for your use and it may take even longer for the money to be taken from your account. So most likely you are getting credit for paying on let's say Monday, you can use the funds on Tuesday or Wednesday (depending on their cut off time), but the deduction from your bank may not happen until Wednesday or Thursday, which is just when they present the "check" to your bank for payment.

Current Debt Management:
$15k Trinity Financial Management (scheduled pay off late 2021)
$10k NFCU
$350/mth Bridgecrest Auto Loan
Goals: Pay off credit card debt & buy a new home before end of 2020

Long Term Debt:
Fed Loans - $150k
Navient - $100k

Taking a "if God don't do it, it won't get done..." approach to paying these off.
Message 17 of 19
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

I just checked my Citi CC and Wf checking account. I have Citi set up to auto-pay on the due date. They both show the payment on the same day, the due day. Also, when checking my available credit it aways reflects the change as that same date.

It was that way when it was secured and remains that way now that the card is unsecured.

I actually would have preferred autopay to pay a few days earlier just in case something goes wrong so I don't get a late.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 18 of 19
Duke-of-Earl
Regular Contributor

I'm surprised by all the negative experiences with bank bill-payment systems that have been reported since my earlier post in this thread.  I've never experienced, and wouldn't tolerate, delays like that.

I've been using Bank of America's bill-pay system for over ten years, and in my experince they nearly always deliver my payments on the day they say they will.  I keep a rolling six-month history of when each recipient actually credits my account, as shown on a subsequent statement.  These are almost universally the dates I requested, with the single exception of my municipal water utility, which is routinely credited a day late.

I also track the delay until the payment appears on the payee's website, giving me a short-term confirmation that it was credited.  This varies a bit more, from zero to three days.  Variation among credit-card companies is typical of other creditors.  Payments to Capital One always appear on their website on the date received.  Bank of America's and USAA's websites sometimes show the payment on the date received, sometimes a day later.  And American Express rarely appears until the day after receipt.  But again, these are just when the websites first show the payment.  What counts are when it's actually credited to my account, and that almost always happens exactly when I request it.

Yes, of course there's a processing delay.  I do have to plan ahead a little, and schedule the payment two to five days before I want it to occur.  But the payment isn't debited from my BoA account until they day I requested it be credited to my account at the payee.

Starting Score: EQ 804 - (April 2009)
Upgraded thanks to FICO Forums: EQ 813 / EX 842 / TU 823 - (FICO scores from mortgage lenders, June 2010)
Recent Scores: EQ 807 / TU 799 - (March 2012)
Goal: Survive Another Day
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.