Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this illegal?

tag
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Is this illegal?

this does sound very sketchy.

You should find out of this is indeed a company policy, or just your local store's / manager's / trainer's policy. If it isn't a companywide policy, file a complaint with HR.

Ultimately, its up to you though. If you pursue this and make a big deal out of it (even though it should be if this isn't company policy), it may affect your job.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 11 of 42
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@FixMyCredit1992 wrote:

Searscard is provided by Citi.

The "counter offer" card is provided by HSBC.

The main Sears store card and Sears mastercard are indeed backed by Citi. Sears started another program a few months ago. They noticed like 75% of all credit apps were denied by Citi. They wanted to strengthen their credit base, so they introduced Sears solution card. If you get denied by Citi, HSBC reviews the app. They are reporting that over 50% of previously denied apps will be approved this way. The terms are different and some have an AF. I think you might get hit with an extra hard INQ though. I also think it must be done instore, not over the internet. I got this information from working for Sears.

HSBC is not around though anymore no??

and Sears solutions MasterCard came out years and years ago... I had it!

you didn't get counter?

Actually HSBC quit and it switched to Orchard bank which is no longer considered Sears, now Sears offers Barclays occasionally but only if CITI Bank cant approve you.

BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 12 of 42
Mrm-na
New Contributor

@FixMyCredit1992 wrote:

I've heard through the grapevine if the store gets enough apps, the RM (regional manager) gets a $2,000 bonus.

Sears/Kmart is very pressuring about CC apps, up until a few years ago, they used to fire people for not getting enough apps. It's all about making the company money so they can push a crappy 25.24% CC onto the unwashed masses. They even print out a little "instant shopping pass" if your approved so you can blow that CL ASAP.

Interesting.  Many years ago, when I was a teenager, no income, absolutely no qualifications at all, I remember I let a Sears salesman talk me into applying for a Sears card.  I would guess I was 16 at the time.  Not knowing anything about hard pulls and credit reports, I went along with it, not really taking it seriously.  As expected I was insta-declined for lack of credit history.  I forgot all about it, but your comment brought that old memory up from the archives.  I guess it was inconsequential in my case, because I never made a "real" credit application until like 10 years later. But I should have refused.

There was no chance of me being approved but maybe it saved the guy's job.

Message 13 of 42
WolfMan
Regular Contributor

I, Personally, would have a big problem with this. 

I think that particular trainer was doing everything he/she can to cash in on the bonus of getting people to sign up. 

If anyone should be fired, it should be the trainer. 

Message 14 of 42
Platinum
Frequent Contributor

@WolfMan wrote:

I think that particular trainer was doing everything he/she can to cash in on the bonus of getting people to sign up. 

True. I know for fact that it is not Sears's standard to have new hire must go through this process of app for Sears card. In this case the trainer was looking for his/ her own gain unethically.

Message 15 of 42
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@Platinum wrote:

@WolfMan wrote:

True. I know for fact that it is not Sears's standard to have new hire must go through this process of app for Sears card. In this case the trainer was looking for his/ her own gain unethically.

In complete agreement. 

Highly questionable practise, unless they state somewhere UP FRONT in the application process that obtaining a SearsCard is a condition of employment.  The fact that the trainer made a STATEMENT  that you, the employee, would now apply for a card, rather than ASKING if you want to apply for a card, seems very unethical.  If I were in the OP's shoes, I'd contact someone at the corporate level to see if this is standard practise.  Also, posing the question on Sears' Facebook account, or Twitter account may also get some interesting responses as well, either from the "suits" or from other unsuspecting employees or former employees.

Message 16 of 42
chwebb1
Established Contributor

As everyone else has said, that's very unethical and I would report it to corporate. Also, as a general rule, store cards have horrible APRs and low CLs. I have cards with good rewards and credit limits (for my use, anyway) that I don't think I'd consider applying for a store card (except maybe the Target card, but the low CL makes me think otherwise).

Definitely bring it up with corporate. I would have pushed harder on applying for one, though. Under no circumstance would I have applied for a Sears card. I likely would have quit the job first. I've worked for 5 years to get to where I am today, if they can't respect that, then they're not a place for me.

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 17 of 42
missjae
Established Contributor

Seems like they are really pushing apps at this time. I was in Sears a week ago; The cashier and her manager proceeded to refund me $108 for items that cost me $85 despite me saying several times I paid less. Anyhow, once all was said and done, the manager asked the cashier about apps. She said none and he said she would have to be in a training class with him the following week. Soo, it's ok to give away money as long as they get people to app for the card.

Yes, sounds like bad practices and can be at the store, regional, or company wide level.
Message 18 of 42
Open123
Super Contributor

The legality of the practice is determined by the State. 

For instance, in CA, the practice of requiriing a person to buy an employer's product or service as terms of employment is illegal.  So, you can check with your State regarding the practice.

As to complaining, whether the practice is illegal or not, and even though punitive reponse is strictly prohibited, it retribution happens all the time in a corporate environment.  From my perspective, if you work for me, and complain about having to use my product (especially if it's free and beneficial to you), I may not respond with punitive action, but you will surely *never* be promoted beyond where you are for so long as I run things.

So, as they say, there are times when discretion is the better part of valor. 

Message 19 of 42
chwebb1
Established Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

The legality of the practice is determined by the State. 

For instance, in CA, the practice of requiriing a person to buy an employer's product or service as terms of employment is illegal.  So, you can check with your State regarding the practice.

As to complaining, whether the practice is illegal or not, and even though punitive reponse is strictly prohibited, it retribution happens all the time in a corporate environment.  From my perspective, if you work for me, and complain about having to use my product (especially if it's free and beneficial to you), I may not respond with punitive action, but you will surely *never* be promoted beyond where you are for so long as I run things.

So, as they say, there are times when discretion is the better part of valor. 

To me, taking a hard credit pull as part of the terms of employment, and the hit to AAoA, both of which need to be carefully considered before applying for any credit, especially credit you weren't planning on applying for in the first place, and may or may not have benefits to you directly, is reason enough to complain. When I apply for credit, I factor how much a new credit card will benefit me (ie rewards, interest rate, etc) vs the negatives (hit to AAoA and hard pull). Everybody else should look at this when they apply for credit, too.

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 20 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.