Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this ok to do?

tag
oracles
Valued Contributor

Is this ok to do?

i have 2 citibank credit cards that have balance transfer of 0 percent and $75 dollars balance transfer fee. I want to put all my debt from my other cards on these accounts and only have two cards with balances on them but maxed out. Will this be looked at negatively? What should i expect if i do this? thanks
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is this ok to do?

I generally recommend against maxing out any single card or couple of cards, or sloshing around debt from card to card.

The FICO algorithms are pretty wise to that sort of thing. Now if you can get a couple of new cards and not put anything on them, that will lower your overall utilization, and may be worth pursuing. Likewise, if we're talking balances in the high thousands of dollars, you're currently paying 17.9%, and the new cards are 0% for the first six months, then you've got a pretty compelling non-FICO rationale for the transfer.
Message 2 of 13
oracles
Valued Contributor

actually i got two new credit cards with 9k total and it is in the thousands so that is why i am doing it. I know i probably will get a major ding. How much of a pt decrease do you think i will get and how long do you think it will take me to make those points back up? thanks
Message 3 of 13
marty56
Super Contributor

Be careful with the BT.  Some CCCs will require you to close the accounts you are BT'ing which could have a longer term effect on your scores due to account age.  Effects of util only last as long as it takes to pay down the balance and then for the balance to report.  9% or less total util is the best.  I dont know about new accounts butI have read here that it takes a few months for scores to go up and a year nefore the account is not marked as new.  Also remember average account age is a factor and the effect of it could last longer based on your profile.

Also never do a BT unless you can PIF by the term date.  Never ever do this.  Also this all will be a mute point if you run the other cards back up again.

Message Edited by marty56 on 07-03-2008 03:29 PM
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 4 of 13
oracles
Valued Contributor

thanks marty, i am not going to run the cards aback up, i just want to take advantage of the 0 percent until jan. Putting it on these two citicards will help me pay off the balances quicker. I know i am going to get ding but just wanted to know how much and how long it will take to make them up and will i get any other ccc upset. I dont want them to give me a cld.
Message 5 of 13
marty56
Super Contributor

I found out for my credit profile it didnt matter if I had a single CC above 9% util (11%) as long as my total % util was 9% or less.  I dont know if that was because the single CC was at 11% and  would it have been different if the single CC was at 90% util with 9% total util.

Anyway is sounds like you have a plan so good luck with it and remember any score drop you got will only  be temporaray and then you should be good to go.

BTW I recommend National City Visa since they have a great BT offer.  LOL I dont think they are happy with me since they didnt make any money with the BT so if you apply dont tell them you know me.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

i say if it helps you financially on paying down your credit cards quicker and you don't need your scores high at this moment. Do it!!! good luck
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

oracles wrote:
thanks marty, i am not going to run the cards aback up, i just want to take advantage of the 0 percent until jan. Putting it on these two citicards will help me pay off the balances quicker. I know i am going to get ding but just wanted to know how much and how long it will take to make them up and will i get any other ccc upset. I dont want them to give me a cld.

oracles,

I was told when one does this, to keep their overall utilization on their cards at or below 50% atleast and not to use over 50% on each individual card, but if that  wasn't possible then to use no more than 70% on each individual card , but in no instance were they to use over 90% of their credit line on each individual card EVER! 

I have used 80% of my credit line on one card before and was dinged 12 points.   I did ask for  a CLI too which helped lower my utilization in the process.  

i agree with the last poster that if this is going to benefit you and save you money, then by all means do it!   Especially if you aren't about to buy a home or a new car.

Sandy
Message 8 of 13
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

Forget about your scores for a second, since utilitzation is factored based on present util only.  Do what's best for you financially right now, and then worry about utilization when you need good scores for a major purchase.  FICO won't care what your util was before you paid the balance down.

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 13
oracles
Valued Contributor

thanks everyone for your response, i appreciate it tremendously, actually my utilization is 30% right now. I just want to put all the money i owe on these two cards which will require using the entire limit on both so i can take advantage of the 0 percent BT. I will have overall 30% util but almost 99% on two cards only and the rest 0 balance. Then i can pay off the 2 citi cards faster. With this situation, will i upset other ccc and get a cld and will i have a major decrease in score ( how much do you think). I am not looking to purchase a house or car so it is not that important about the score so much as to just being curious. My major concern is if i will get a CLD from other credit cards i have like Amex. thanks
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.