Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this right?????

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this right?????

My last Statement for my Sams Credit cut on 3-6-2009. I made a payment that posted that day but did not make that statement so the payment will show on this next statement. My payment was due 3-26 so I figured the payment that was made on 3-06 would count as my 3-26 payment due date but when I checked today they charged me a $25 Late Fee.... I would think if the payment missed the last statement and ended up on this one it would count as my next due date...

Help!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
YoungEntrepeneur
Established Contributor

Re: Is this right?????

It looks like the payment you submitted was factored in the statement that closed on March 6. I would call GEMB and ask for goodwill. This is why you should've followed up on the payment and made sure that you didn't have any payments due. You can't make any assumptions.
Message 2 of 10
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My last Statement for my Sams Credit cut on 3-6-2009. I made a payment that posted that day but did not make that statement so the payment will show on this next statement. My payment was due 3-26 so I figured the payment that was made on 3-06 would count as my 3-26 payment due date but when I checked today they charged me a $25 Late Fee.... I would think if the payment missed the last statement and ended up on this one it would count as my next due date...

Help!

Had you already made a minimum payment on time before the due date that fell prior to 3-06? If so did the payment made on 3-06 post on the statement ending on 3-06?

If the 3-06 payment was not credited on the 3-06 statement it most definitely could only be credited to the subsequent statement which would have meant that it was paid before March 26 and your reasoning would be correct.

There is something else creating the problem. If you had missed a payment prior to 3-06,  a late fee would have been on the current statement. 

In the past GEMB has lost my payment in the bank's system. Just have all your payment records in front of you and call the CSR.

You didn't by any chance pay the account with cash at the Sam's store did you? If I remember right I had PIFed in the store before the statement dropped and the payment didn't show on my statement. GEMB claimed that I hadn't made the payment although I had a cash receipt.

I made the payment again while I was trying to resolve the issue over a few days' time. The prior "extra" payment mysteriously appeared a few days after my second payment posted to the account. GEMB disclaimed any responsibility. As usual the poor excuse for a bank blamed the Sam's club CSR for incorrectly processing the payment.

Me thinks GEMB lost you payment or it would either have appeared on the statement you have, or it would have been credited long before 3-26.

I would never make a payment to GEMB either in the store or by mail without checking online every day until I saw it post in my account. If you mailed a (check) payment and the bank lost it, you are probably toast. 

The way I deal with the clowns, who can make washing machines and light bulbs, but cannot properly handle my money, is to pay the CC with cash in the store, and save my receipt.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had made my payment in plenty of time for the statement that cut 3-06-2009 and that statement did not have a late feee since it was on time. The payment that was made on 3-06 was supposed to be an extra payment but since it was a large payment and did not make the 3-06 statement I figured I would let it be my 3-26 payment. I will call them tommorow about it cause it should not of given me a late....
Message 4 of 10
CHARGE_IT
Regular Contributor

Making "extra" payments can be very tricky with some banks in relation to due dates and statement dates. "Extra" payments are treated as such depending on the date, and then another payment is necessary. I understand your intention and it can be done but I believe you got caught between the dates. This problem has come up here before.

CI

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Called today and they refunded my Late Fee and made my account current since the payment was made in this new statement so it would be treated as the 3-26 due payment.

YES!!!

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Called today and they refunded my Late Fee and made my account current since the payment was made in this new statement so it would be treated as the 3-26 due payment.

YES!!!

Way to go....
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations 
Message 8 of 10
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

YES!!!

Bravo!

Like I said, GEMB doesn't do a very good job of keeping track of payments. You made them find the "missing money". Way to go. Now you see why I make my payments right in Sam's Club. I always get a receipt so that I can prove I made the payment. Checking online until the payment posts helps also.

Message 9 of 10
Itsmeagain
Established Contributor

I've added a Kudo for staying after them until you got what you deserved.  Additional kudos to the posters in this thread who encouraged the OP.  My signature says it all.

Cheers

Starting Score: TU 737 EQ 721
Current Score: TU 741 EQ 741
Goal Score: TU 765 EQ 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.