cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this what I was waiting for? (AMEX offer?)

tag
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Is this what I was waiting for? (AMEX offer?)

I just got the following in my email inbox.  Is this a honest to goodness offer from AMEX for me to join or is it just a normal spam email?  I was hoping to receive an offer as my EX is probably around 650 (the magic number the CSR @ AMEX told me I needed to get to be eligible) 

So am I in like Flynn?

Amex.JPG

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
swpopham
Established Contributor

Re: Is this what I was waiting for? (AMEX offer?)

Go to Amex pre approval site and see if its there for you
"As long as the music is playing, you've got to get up and dance," he said. "We're still dancing."---Prince CEO Citi Bank

"Money isn't the most important thing in life, but it's reasonably close to oxygen on the "gotta have it" scale". ~Zig Ziglar
Message 2 of 18
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Site says no existing offers.  I literally just got that email.  I hope its a valid offer but not sure.  Guess I could call them and see?  (I'm not planning on apping for AMEX until September as that would be 6 months from my denial).

Suggestions?

Message 3 of 18
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Even if it was a pre~approval it is not a guarantee of approval.   Pre~approvals are just invitations sent out to targeted groups/demographics ~ it will still come down to your CR and application info like income, etc...

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 18
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

Even if it was a pre~approval it is not a guarantee of approval.   Pre~approvals are just invitations sent out to targeted groups/demographics ~ it will still come down to your CR and application info like income, etc...

True.  But its such a positive step in right direction for me.  Ive raised my scores at least 110 points (waiting on some baddies to be processed for deletion on EQ and TU).  Before I started rebuild, they would have laughed at me.  The only thing holding me back is my credit score.  I'm a professional who owns my house, has six figure income, been at job for 3 years and previous job was 5+ years, etc.

I'm still going to wait till September but It gives me positive reinforcement.  (Needed some after dealing with Sallie Mae, Cap1 and Verizon!)

Message 5 of 18
SanjeevR
Regular Contributor

FYI, you can look at the bottom of the e-mail to know if it's a pre-approval e-mail or a generic offer. It would like like this, which I recently received:

Photobucket

Starting scores: Around 630 (Sep 2011)
Current FICO scores: TU ‘08 792 (Walmart) • EQ 765 • EX 771 (Amex)
Prime cards: JP Morgan Select (30K) • HHonors Reserve (30K) • Chase United MileagePlus Explorer (20K) • Chase Sapphire Preferred (20K) • Amex Hilton Honors Surpass (20K) • Amex BCP (20K) • Barclay Ring (20K) • Citi Thank You Premier MC/Visa (16K Combined) • Discover Escape (10K) • Amex SPG (5K) • Amex Premier Rewards Gold • US Bank Cash+ (5K+???)
Message 6 of 18
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Damn. Didn't have that at bottom. Bubble a little bit busted but still step in right direction.

Message 7 of 18
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Most likely a generic email offer.  They don't send pre-approved offers via email generally as that would require a soft pull from credit bureaus.  Credit bureaus don't store email addresses on credit report.  So how would they know that your "pre-approved" offer is going to the right person.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 8 of 18
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

I signed up for emails at Amex site so they can in fact match my soft pull inquiry with my email address.

Message 9 of 18
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

Can you check your report for a soft pull, maybe?

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.