Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is universal default still around

tag
mrldp40
Established Contributor

Is universal default still around

Like say cap1 secured closing your account because u default on another credit card .that's how it was before 2007

ready to start a rebuild ex 533 eq 518 tu 541
inquiries EQ 2 EX 0 TU 1 multiple charge off current card green dot secured 500
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is universal default still around

@mrldp40 wrote:

Like say cap1 secured closing your account because u default on another credit card .that's how it was before 2007

As far as I know, no. But they can and do monitor your reports for negative trends and will adjust or close your accounts if they forsee a risk of default.

Message 2 of 9
Pway
Valued Contributor

+1

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 3 of 9
UncleB
Credit Mentor

My understanding is that Universal Default is no longer around in the sense that they can arbitrarily (and permanently) raise your APR to 29.99% (or higher) only because you have problems with another lender, but they can (and do) still CLD, and in extreme cases simply close the account.

"Back in the day" having all your 10% and 12% accounts permanently changed to 29.9% because an account you cosigned for got in trouble was the beginning of the end for many folks.  For many people, it was literally impossible to recover once the 'Universal Defaults' started, and generally once there was one, the others would follow.  A person could be financially stretched, but 'OK', then overnight the monthly interest charge was suddenly more than even the minimum payment (I had one card where this was the case).  It was a nightmare for many people, and it was fundamentally unfair - you weren't even able to close the account yourself with the old APR.  At least now when they close the account, you get to keep the old terms.

Message 4 of 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

My understanding is that Universal Default is no longer around in the sense that they can arbitrarily (and permanently) raise your APR to 29.99% (or higher) only because you have problems with another lender, but they can (and do) still CLD, and in extreme cases simply close the account.

"Back in the day" having all your 10% and 12% accounts permanently changed to 29.9% because an account you cosigned for got in trouble was the beginning of the end for many folks.  For many people, it was literally impossible to recover once the 'Universal Defaults' started, and generally once there was one, the others would follow.  A person could be financially stretched, but 'OK', then overnight the monthly interest charge was suddenly more than even the minimum payment (I had one card where this was the case).  It was a nightmare for many people, and it was fundamentally unfair - you weren't even able to close the account yourself with the old APR.  At least now when they close the account, you get to keep the old terms.

Right, the CARD Act banned Universal Default (at least on current balances), any APR changes had to be based on actions on that card (such as paying late)   But as Uncle B says, a few lates on card A means your score drops, and the issuer of card B decides you are a risk and CLDs you.   They didn't raise your APR based on the lates on A, but......

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is also another reason not to have 4 Citi cards and 1 American Express. Who Me?? when it's all the same family you can get baddabingged by bank real quickly as well.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Simple solution: Don't carry a balance.

Maybe that's too simple for some? 

Message 7 of 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Simple solution: Don't carry a balance.

Maybe that's too simple for some? 

It wasn't carrying balances that was the issue in the past, more lates and defaults.   

I agree it's better not to carry a balance (especially with a non-zero APR) but sometimes you might have to.

To generalize your advice (and equally helpful) "Avoid bad things and you will be fine"

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

LoL I thought Canadians were nice.

The question was just a discussion of Policy. Banks can do what they want in-house.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.