Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is usaa decent overall?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is usaa decent overall?

I recently got a cc with them and also car insurance through the wife(military) and am curious how they have been lately with their credit cards? If they don't decline every other charge or play other games I'll be happy.

Some of the reviews I read online were poor so wasn't sure what to expect.

Their car insurance rates were decent but the rate I had with Geico was lower but combining makes things easier
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
elim
Senior Contributor

Re: Is usaa decent overall?

Member since 06'  Never had a problem,  Drag $2,500 per day emergency cash from CC to checking for no fee (yes APR from day 1). Request Chip n Pin for overseas travel. Use card with no worries of balance chasing.  CSR's have always been knowledgeable, polite and helpful to me. Modify Insurance policy as needed for travel and back the day after.

Plenty of offers in the offers tab, Everything is an EQ HP.

Message 2 of 10
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

I found them great when I was rebuilding but their rewards aren't anything to write about if you can qualify with other creditors.  I only keep my 2 USAA cards because they're old and I've hit max exposure with them so they help with padding revolving utilization.

You really just need to evaluate the cards based on how they suit you as you would with any creditor.  Be careful relying on reviews as you can find negative reviews for any creditor.

@Anonymous wrote:
Their car insurance rates were decent but the rate I had with Geico was lower but combining makes things easier

Price is only one consideration.  USAA's service is unbeatable in my experience and why I've been with them since 1994.  If you qualify for dividends they're a plus too.

@Anonymous wrote:
If they don't decline every other charge or play other games I'll be happy.

Never had problems with them with things like this.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

They are my first banking relationship and I have always have had good service with no foreign accents. From what the CSR told me, they don't close CCs unless there are delinquencies or by request so I am planning to keep my cards with them as a safety net. Also, since it's military-based, most, if not all, CCs have no FTFs. Plus, I find their app to have the most usability compared to Chase, Discover, US Bank, and AmEx.

The main downside is the lack of flexibility within their products. They aren't big on APR reductions, product changes, credit limit reallocation. Those seem to be the tradeoffs for having stable, conservative products.

Message 4 of 10
UncleB
Credit Mentor

I'll echo what the others have said so far... USAA has always been solid for me, and while their rewards cards aren't the most impressive they have other 'perks', like no-fee cash advances to USAA checking and no-fee overdraft protection (I've never had to use it, but it's nice knowing it's there).

I will always have a fondness for them because they were the first bank to give me an 'adult' credit line during my rebuild.  They may not be my 'daily' card, but I'll always keep them around.  Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I recently got a cc with them and also car insurance through the wife(military) and am curious how they have been lately with their credit cards? If they don't decline every other charge or play other games I'll be happy.

Some of the reviews I read online were poor so wasn't sure what to expect.

My dh and I have been with USAA for over 17 years. They have always been good to us and in my opinon have great customer service. We have checking, world mastercard, auto loan, auto and home insurance. 

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds good to me. Im happy to have it and the limit is plenty at 5k. I will rotate its use with my amex and cap one cards.

Message 7 of 10
RonM21
Valued Contributor

I don't have them, but know several people that do, and I've heard all good comments about them regarding various types of accounts.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 8 of 10
Gmood1
Super Contributor

USAA has been fantastic since joining them a year ago. The insurance rates are phenomenal!
I'm a member for life. Looking forward to seeing if I can squeeze another CLI out of them at the end of the month on my Rewards card.
Message 9 of 10
Bman70
Established Contributor

Auto loan was the easiest thing ever.. called, approved, they faxed a check to the dealer, within 10 minutes. Auto insurance was significantly cheaper at Geico though, even though I wanted to stay with USAA for convenience. 

The credit card is solid, doesn't seem to care about cash advances or paying minimum payments. Not a rewards card that seems competitive yet, though. 

EX 822
TU 834
EQ 820

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.