cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is your Amex activated? Are you sure? Are you really really sure?

tag
jaysdad2k
Frequent Contributor

Is your Amex activated? Are you sure? Are you really really sure?

I bopped over to my local Costco to get gas today. I proudly swiped my Costco Amex. “Authorization Declined”. WTH? Sigh.

Put in the Gold (the closing date is 28th, so I didn’t really want to add anything right now) but that worked. Sigh. 

I checked Amex Mobile from my cell phone browser. No red flags. No FR. Full CL. Sigh.

I went back to the office and hopped on the Amex account website.  No red flag. No balance due. Full CL. Sigh.

So I came home, thinking maybe the stripe isn’t reading at those pumps. I’ll go buy some coffee online. Got to the end. “AUTHORIZATION DECLINED”.  WTH? Sigh.

So I called Amex. Really fast to a CSR. She said, “Oh, yeah, $$$ just  now.” This card has not been activated yet. WTH?

I told her I had activated online, set up my bank payments, etc. over a month ago.  She said yeah, well we let you use it a few times, then we cut it off. But you are fine now. It’s now activated. Have a nice day. We both had a good laugh. Big relieved sigh.

I got approved June 8 or so. The day I got it, I activated online. I’ve been managing this thing almost every day. I PIF’ed when the first statement posted about July 4.  I ran a bit under $200 through it. And yet, according to them it was never activated until today. But they let me use it a few times….

So activate on the phone with Amex! Have them tell you the magic words, “It’s activated.”

OK. So now the FR watch begins? The clock hasn’t even been ticking till now.

I’m too old for this.

Amex is going to give me a heart attack yet.

Nah!

"Knowledge is of no value unless you put it into practice."- Anton Chekhov
4/11 TU 743 4/11 EQ 763
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Is your Amex activated? Are you sure? Are you really really sure?

hmmm...interesting. I have always activated my cards by calling the number on the sticker that is placed on the front of the card.
Message 2 of 21
WhirledPeasPlease
Moderator Emeritus

Me too!  I even save the stickers!

LOL
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
From 700 in 2008 to 498 in 2012...
4/23/12 -- BK 13 date of filing EQ = 505
4/18/12 -- EQ 498
12/5/13 -- EQ 669
Here we go.... back on track.
Message 3 of 21
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Why would they have an option to activate online, but not acknowledge it?

Truly, they get a little odder each and every day. Smiley Tongue
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 21
WhirledPeasPlease
Moderator Emeritus

See, I'll say something nice about Amex.  They sent me a replacement card VERY quickly after my wallet was lost.  BofA wanted 25 bucks to ship it fast.

I activated it over the phone, peeled off the sticker, and filed everything away.

Ahhh..  Bliss!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
4/18/12 -- EQ 498
12/5/13 -- EQ 669
Message 5 of 21
jaybird201
Established Contributor

Hahaha! So how's that work Peas? You have a piece of paper that you carefully transfer the little sticker to? I must say, I try to keep any and all documents related to credit cards and financial stuff, but I think you've outdone me. Congrats! Smiley Tongue
Message 6 of 21
WhirledPeasPlease
Moderator Emeritus

jaybird201 wrote:
Hahaha! So how's that work Peas? You have a piece of paper that you carefully transfer the little sticker to? I must say, I try to keep any and all documents related to credit cards and financial stuff, but I think you've outdone me. Congrats! Smiley Tongue

Uh huh.  (There should be a sheepish smiley face!)

I peel off the sticker, affix it to the original document that came with the card, and then file it away.

Thanks, I think!  Smiley Wink
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
4/18/12 -- EQ 498
12/5/13 -- EQ 669
Message 7 of 21
jaybird201
Established Contributor

Half complimenting, half making fun, half jealous that I hadn't thought of it before you. Smiley Wink
Message 8 of 21
WhirledPeasPlease
Moderator Emeritus

jaybird201 wrote:
Half complimenting, half making fun, half jealous that I hadn't thought of it before you. Smiley Wink

3/2..  reminds me of a bank!

*snort!*

Feel free to emulate my @nal-retentive nature!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
4/18/12 -- EQ 498
12/5/13 -- EQ 669
Message 9 of 21
jaybird201
Established Contributor

Haha! I was going to say, improper fractions seem to be a recurring theme on these boards. Smiley Tongue
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.