cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue if AU spend is higher then Primary User?

tag
revvystoke
Frequent Contributor

Issue if AU spend is higher then Primary User?

I have read that AMEX doesn't like to see AU spend higher then primary, but my spouse wants in on a better card. She is AU on two of my cards and has a cap1 @3k, but has a CO from '08 and that precludes her from being approved for good promo's on prime airline cards. If I app for one and just add her as a AU at the beginning, does it matter if she spends more then I do on it? My monthly spend can be rather high depending on the month so it's easier for us to keep our expenses seperate, she complains I am too picky about paying in full each month.

We have a joint bank account so the payments shouldn't be an issue. Considering another BOA card.

AkAir $50k | Marriott $65k | Local CU $8k
TU: 770 / EQ: 748 / EX: 769
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

,Re: Issue if AU spend is higher then Primary User?

Haven't had an issue with Amex, Chase, Discover at all.  Amex does ask the relationship of the ACM when approving the account.  IMO, they would not have an issue with spouse's spending more. 

Message 2 of 7
youngman1234
Established Contributor

Re: Issue if AU spend is higher then Primary User?

With Amex I think it really doesn't matter if its your spouse. If the au is charging more than primary ur going to get FR'd. It happened to me but my relationship with au is he's my brother. But I read a post here where someone's wife spent more on the card and Amex FR'd them.
Message 3 of 7
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Amex tracks ACM spend (to the penny) but I've never read about them caring until today.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I don't think it's a matter if it's the AU or what not with Amex and that they really care... it's when the AU user spending outways the income they have for the account from the primary.... My partner was FR'd after he opened a BCP and I pushed almost $8k through it in just over a month on a $2k limit.... before that his costco didn't really see more than $1500 a month in spending.

but I wouldn't worry about it if AU is doing all the spending but it's within normal spending range... like AU now does grocery shopping so $800 a month is now on AU card instead of yours... that's not the trigger for Amex I don't believe.

Message 5 of 7
OnTheRebound
Established Contributor

I always spend way, Way more than my wife on her BCP. Been this way for several years. Never a issue. Personally, I don't worry about it.

Amex BCE $11.1 / Citi Diamond Preferred WMC $12K / Citi Double Cash WMC $3.8K / Comenity Total Rewards Visa $2.5K / Citi Home Depot $5K / AU- Amex BCP $12K / Chase Freedom Visa $11014.00 / PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature $6K / GE Lowes $10K
myFico Scores on 10/03/2014
Eq 798 / Exp 811 / Trans 814
CCT Fico 08 on 1/3/16 - Trans 786 / Exp 793 / Eq 797
Message 6 of 7
JeffM
Contributor

I've been an AU on my parents' AmEx card for nearly 2 years. In these 2 years, they've never used it and I've used it extensively. No FR whatsoever.

Wells Fargo Cash Back - $2400 || Bank of America Cash Rewards - $5000 || Discover IT - $5000 || American Express BCE - $15000

FICO TU - 769
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.