Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issuer of 79.9% Interest Rate Card Defends Its Product

tag
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

Issuer of 79.9% Interest Rate Card Defends Its Product

Now that Premier came out with their 79.9% card, congress is considering getting involved to set top rates. Say they set a 40% top limit (number totally made up by me)...will the rest of the cards jump up to meet the new maximum? We all saw what happened when they instituted the most recent credit card act.

http://finance.yahoo.com/banking-budgeting/article/108839/issuer-of-79.9-interest-rate-credit-card-d... 

From the CEO of Premier: Beacom from Premier says the astronomic interest rate will only affect revolvers -- people who do not pay their entire balances off each month. "People pay it off every month, they pay no interest," he adds.Those getting the offer have a choice, Beacom says."If everything is fully disclosed, if they want it fine, if they don't want it fine," he adds."People should be able to make that decision rather than the government cutting off access and saying they know best."

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: Issuer of 79.9% Interest Rate Card Defends Its Product

@LynetteM wrote:

Now that Premier came out with their 79.9% card, congress is considering getting involved to set top rates. Say they set a 40% top limit (number totally made up by me)...will the rest of the cards jump up to meet the new maximum? We all saw what happened when they instituted the most recent credit card act.

Sure they would and I wish they would if that would prevent anual fees and minimum usage fees.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

On a legal standpoint, I don't see anything wrong with it.  I think it's insane and crazy and I personally would never get a credit card with that high of an interest rate, but if it's disclosed from day one and someone chooses to get it, and then doesn't pay in full, I think it's that person's choice and I don't see a problem with the bank doing that. 

On the other hand if they say the interest rate is going to be 10% and then it's 79.9%, then that's a problem.  Additionally if the credit card company doesn't say there's an annual fee, and then charges one, there's another problem.  

Message 3 of 4
laz98
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

On a legal standpoint, I don't see anything wrong with it.  I think it's insane and crazy and I personally would never get a credit card with that high of an interest rate, but if it's disclosed from day one and someone chooses to get it, and then doesn't pay in full, I think it's that person's choice and I don't see a problem with the bank doing that. 

On the other hand if they say the interest rate is going to be 10% and then it's 79.9%, then that's a problem.  Additionally if the credit card company doesn't say there's an annual fee, and then charges one, there's another problem.  

i have to agree.  i think it's nuts, but that's why we are supposed to make smart choices about our finances.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.