cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues w/ OpenSky Secured CC & Closure...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Issues w/ OpenSky Secured CC & Closure...

Hey, guys.

So this is a strange issue that I have going on and will try to provide as much information as possible.  Another phone call is due to them tonight or tomorrow to attempt to retrieve more information, but wanted to put this out there to calm my own feelings and perhaps alert others to some problems I've had with OpenSky.

I called, January 24th, to close my account with OpenSky.  It was the first card of my rebuild, and I've had it almost two years, but my credit score has risen to close-to-mid 700s and I have other cards more prime that I didn't see a need for it any longer.  Rep stated there was a $20 and some odd charge balance on the account, so he held on the line while I logged on to post the payment using the same bank I have used for the November and December payments without issue.  I gave him the confirmation #, he verified and then closed the account.  Thought everything was OK.

Fast forward to two days ago, I get two letters drafted February 9th stating I would undergo an APR increase due to a missed payment and the other letter stated I had a new balance of $41 and change due to the missed payment.  HUH???

Today I call Customer Care and speak to someone who I didn't feel was completely informational as to how the process worked but we gave it a go.  She stated the account was closed but there was a balance of $41 and change.  Said there was a payment reversal fee or late fee on top of the original $20 I owed to close it out originally.  I requested she waive those fees as I believed those were in error and she did so and processed my final payment of $20 to close the account (again?) or bring balance to $0.  She informed me that the payment made on January 24th was reversed due to an invalid account number.  HUH???  I said I used the stored payment method I have used the past two months without error (I have received emails from OpenSky confirming scheduled payments for those months) and have not had an issue which leads to my confusion.  Rep stated that it may have been reported to the bureaus already as a closed account with a past due balance (Equifax has already removed the account and updated itself and shows no derogs have been added) and my TransUnion hasn't updated yet, nor my Experian.

After the call, I check my bank account and I can't find any payment that left my account to go to them in November and December - so maybe it's possible I did store the bank account incorrectly?  But I doubt that seeing as how November the payment was scheduled, if in fact the payment never processed then I would have A: received mail stating I missed a payment and the APR increase or B: I would have noticed something was awry when I logged on in December (and also in January) to make another payment before the due date.

I can't access the online portal as I suppose I have been locked out of accessing it due to the closure.

This is all so ODD to me.  The TL;DR version would be:

(1) Theoretically, could my credit be issued a derog due to them closing the account (at my request) with a past due balance due to a payment reversal?

(2) The payment was due on January 28th, it's been less than 30 days so even if it was late by 17 days but paid, would they even report that as a derog?

(3) Why wait until February 9th to draft a letter of a missed payment for January and APR increase if it happened in Nov/Dec IF bank account number was invalid?

(4) Surely my balance would have been higher than $20 at time of closure after 2 months of missed payments and fees?

(5) This account was definitely closed originally as Equifax has deleted it from my active card accounts.  Or is it?

(6) Maybe this is some major tomfoolery and they have me seriously screwed up with someone else or their information?

I apologize for the novel - wanted to provide as much information as I had available.  I plan on calling them again tonight or tomorrow and perhaps speak to a supervisor to get down to the nitty gritty on this.  Any comments/questions are welcomed!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Issues w/ OpenSky Secured CC & Closure...

Wow, I feel for you. I am a rebuilder and have an Open Sky cc. Before getting this card I researched every forum out there on subprime credit cards and I have read many horror stories about payments and especially trying to close out a secured card and get the deposit back. One thing I do every month is call my bank to verify the charge has been debited from my bank account. Though I don't plan on closing my Open Sky account I imagine if someday I do decide to close it, I will make sure I haven't charged anything for a couple of months and that the yearly $35.00 fee is not coming up. But, based on everything I've read from others like you, there may still be a problem.
Message 2 of 5
eeflores3
Valued Member

@Anonymous wrote:
Wow, I feel for you. I am a rebuilder and have an Open Sky cc. Before getting this card I researched every forum out there on subprime credit cards and I have read many horror stories about payments and especially trying to close out a secured card and get the deposit back. One thing I do every month is call my bank to verify the charge has been debited from my bank account. Though I don't plan on closing my Open Sky account I imagine if someday I do decide to close it, I will make sure I haven't charged anything for a couple of months and that the yearly $35.00 fee is not coming up. But, based on everything I've read from others like you, there may still be a problem.

Creditmaze - I'm contemplating applying for this card. Do they approve you and give you a window to fund the deposit or how does the process work? Smiley Happy 

April 2017 - Transunion: 548; Equifax: 552; Experian: 541
June 2017 - Transunion: 574; Equifax: 576; Experian: 582
 photo CC_zps85h27qka.jpg
 photo nynco_zpssnshgtwy.jpeg
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is no credit check so no hard or soft pull. If my memory serves me right, they asked for the deposit upon applying. I'll give you a link for common questions in the next comment.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.