Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It begins: Chase letter regarding CC changes to WAMU card

tag
dizzier
Established Contributor

It begins: Chase letter regarding CC changes to WAMU card

So I got a letter from Chase today about my WAMU card. Of course it contained all the lovely welcome to chase blah blah blah crap. It also includes a lovely new T&C pamphlet. The biggest change I can see if that my interest rate is going up .25% and I think they have done away with the double cycle billing.

Have you received your letter yet? If so, what does it say.

Until Chase lowers my ridiculously high APR they can kiss my patootie! Their card has been retired to the sockdrawer. Smiley Mad
Message 1 of 46
45 REPLIES 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: It begins: Chase letter regarding CC changes to WAMU card

I'm really worried now. I haven't received a letter yet. I'm one of those Providian members. What if I don't make the cut? Wow, that would suck. It is my oldest account. And what happens? I really wanna call and find out.

Oh, and what will the WaMu card be converted to? Chase Platinum? Chase Freedom? Do you even have a choice? 

Message 2 of 46
oracles
Valued Contributor

Just got mine as well today and the only major change is the apr increasing by .25%. I have 2 cards so i guess i will wait for the other letter. It states you have until feb 20th to opt out and everything will take place on March 6th. I would not worry if you have not gotten a letter yet, this is the first day. Dont worry. On this card i have a 5k limit with a 14.99 % apr and on the other card i have only a $500 limit but with 8.99% apr. This is a cash back card so i guess that is why they gave me a small limit. The letter i received was for the 5k limit card. I wonder what will happen to the $500 card. That is a huge increase in apr from 8.99% to 15.24% if it is the same T&C.
Message 3 of 46
203bravo
Established Contributor

They are doing away with the old Providian secured cards only.  If you had a secured card - you won't make the "cut".  If your Providian account was secured - no worries.

Message 4 of 46
score_building
Senior Contributor

@203bravo wrote:

They are doing away with the old Providian secured cards only.  If you had a secured card - you won't make the "cut".  If your Providian account was secured - no worries.

there is a theory that former provids will be treated somewhat like second class card holders... much like when wamu took over provid cards.  we shall see...but there unfortunately may be some cause for concern.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 5 of 46
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

oracles wrote:
Just got mine as well today and the only major change is the apr increasing by .25%. I have 2 cards so i guess i will wait for the other letter. It states you have until feb 20th to opt out and everything will take place on March 6th. I would not worry if you have not gotten a letter yet, this is the first day. Dont worry. On this card i have a 5k limit with a 14.99 % apr and on the other card i have only a $500 limit but with 8.99% apr. This is a cash back card so i guess that is why they gave me a small limit. The letter i received was for the 5k limit card. I wonder what will happen to the $500 card. That is a huge increase in apr from 8.99% to 15.24% if it is the same T&C.

But what is the new card called? WaMu brand? Chase brand? ChaWaMu??
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 46
oracles
Valued Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@oracles wrote:

Actually it does not say. It just states we now own your card and the the number will be the same.

Message 7 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm really worried now. I haven't received a letter yet. I'm one of those Providian members. What if I don't make the cut? Wow, that would suck. It is my oldest account. And what happens? I really wanna call and find out.

Oh, and what will the WaMu card be converted to? Chase Platinum? Chase Freedom? Do you even have a choice? 

Hubby and I each received a letter today, too. Interest rates went up .25%.

As to what it will change to, here is what I was told by a "personal banker" at my  branch two days after Chase bought WAMU.  I asked if it would ultimately be possible to transfer the credit line of my WAMU card to one of my other Chase cards and was told that this would not be a problem.  I assume that you can also do a product change to any of the other Chase cards because my experience with Chase has been that they will do a product change any time upon request. In fact, I was also told this at a branch and over the phone by an account rep. just a couple of weeks ago. I wasn't specifically asking about my WAMU card, but I was told that they will always do product changes with no problem; just call and ask.

I'm going to look into changing hubby's WAMU card to the Southwest Airline Chase card. . .

Message 8 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

It will be Chase.  They are going to get rid of the WaMu brand at some point, and when they send new cards, whether it's right away, or as the WaMu cards expire they will all be rebranded Chase.

Message 9 of 46
203bravo
Established Contributor

@score_building wrote:

@203bravo wrote:

there is a theory that former provids will be treated somewhat like second class card holders... much like when wamu took over provid cards.  we shall see...but there unfortunately may be some cause for concern.

Sorry - I left out the "not" in the final statement.  Acutally, I have a very old Providian card that was never branded to WaMu when the took over (card and replacements continued to show Providian) and have received the Chase letter.  I'm assuming that they will re-brand it and the Providian will go away, but will wait and see.

Message 10 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.