cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Itching for a new CC, help me decide....

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Itching for a new CC, help me decide....

@TTR79 wrote:

The AMEX Blue Cash Everyday looks promising.  What do you guys know or think about the USAA Reward AMEX??  I know it's not a "real" AMEX, only processed through AMEX but it looks like an awesome card.

• 0% Intro APR until 01/01/2015, on Balance Transfers and Convenience Checks that post to your account by 08/31/2013. After 01/01/2015, your Annual Percentage Rate (APR) on these balances will be 12.90% APR. This rate will vary with the market based on the Prime Rate. Each balance transfer and convenience check has a 3% transaction fee.
  • A low 12.90% APR on purchases and cash advances. This rate will vary with the market based on the Prime Rate.
  • 2,500 bonus points after your first purchase.
  • No annual fee and zero liability for unauthorized transactions.
  • Earn 2X points on gas and grocery purchases while earning 1 point per dollar on your other purchases. Getting 2X points is not an introductory offer. 1 

What do y'all think??

Also, i've gotten from one of you that I should wait a few more months before throwing anymore apps.  Do you all feel this way or think Id be good going with it??

WHY get everyday vs. preferred?? How can you not buy enough groceries to pay for the AF?? unless you just don't cook at all but really?!

How much do you average a month of spending on your credit card in total OP? Where is most of that money spent? Grocery, Gas, Everday stuff, Airline? hotel???

Then we can talk about what is the best "BOSS" Card for you!

Message 11 of 29
TTR79
Established Member

I don't really use my CC that much unless I'm making a large enough purchase that I'd rather not deplete the bank acct.  I currently don't have a rewards card though, so if I had one that would all change.  I spend alot of time on the road for work so Id def use it a ton at the pump.  I do buy groceries....I don't mind a $75 AF as long as it is going to benefit me.  I'm new to all of the credit card stuff, so I will have to learn to use a CC for everyday things.  Will the preferred be the better card for me according to some rough estimates....

$400/mo gas

$200-300/mo groceries

Message 12 of 29
TTR79
Established Member

Any thoughts on NFCU??  I am an "annuitant" as they call it.  I could get in there.  How are their cards, customer service, etc??

Message 13 of 29
TTR79
Established Member

scratch that. looks like you have to be RETIRED.  I'm a disabled veteran but did not retire from the military.  should have opened an account with them back in the day.  

Message 14 of 29
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@TTR79 wrote:

Any thoughts on NFCU??  I am an "annuitant" as they call it.  I could get in there.  How are their cards, customer service, etc??

Hey TTR79!  

Based on your description of a "BOSS" card... I think the BCE fits the bill. 

Also... I recommend the Chase Freedom -

5% cash back on rotating purchases/ $100 sign up bonus / 0% APR for 15 months on purchase and BTs

And holy cow man.... if you have an in with NFCU.. then you have access to some very BOSS cards by your description with very high limits.  LOL

Good luck.

I am including a link for you to check out the Freedom by Chase Smiley Happy

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit-cards/chase-freedom.aspx?CELL=6RRW&MSC=IQ51993252&jp_cmp=cc/03B...

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 15 of 29
enharu
Super Contributor

if you are going for the BCE, get the BCP instead. The rewards are a lot better for most people.

From your description it sounds like your top priority is a 0% promo card. Check out the Citi Simplicity (18-21 months 0% APR depending on the offer), Chase Freedom (15 months 0% APR), Citi Thank You (5X groceries, gas and drug stores plus 14 months 0% APR offer going on right now). There are also many other cards with 0% APR promo that you can check out, including Barclays Arrival, Sallie Mae Mastercard, Bank of America, etc.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 16 of 29
TTR79
Established Member

Thanks for all of the input guys/gals!!  I'm going to keep researching and look a little harder at the cards you all suggested.  I know i will NEVER have a BOA card....or give them any business at all.  Nothing to do with their banking but more their personal priniciples.  Thanks again guys!!  Keep the comments coming if you've got um!!

Message 17 of 29
TTR79
Established Member

Ok. I've been doing a little reading.... I Checked my score from my most recent inquiry. When I bought my jeep they pulled Equifax @ 740. Utilization is sitting right around 24%. Was thinking of appin for the BCP or BCE, discover it and maybe another. Should I pull the trigger now or wait a couple months and get my utility down below 15%?? I keep filling out apps and hovering over the submit button!!
Message 18 of 29
TTR79
Established Member

Can't figure out how to edit post on mobile. My income is around 62k.
Message 19 of 29
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

NOW... BCP, Discover, Chase Freedom. In that order all in a row!
Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.