Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Itching for a "Real" card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Itching for a "Real" card

So I've went through the motions and got secured BofA and Cap1 cards.. Score went up 30 pts EQ, 45 TU and 100 EX. I want an AMEX but they told me no Smiley Sad but I still want something unsecured that has a higher than $300 limit. I've put about 1k on my BofA card this month (paying every transaction as it's made). Is it too early for me to try for anything else? Would even take a store card.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Guava
Established Contributor

Re: Itching for a "Real" card

I think you should be patient. From your signature, your score went up from a month ago (8/16/11) so the accounts you got are still new. Waiting 6 months to a year is very reasonable. I'm in my 6 month waiting period of establishing history with AMEX myself. It'll get better, the long term payment history is worthwhile IMO

Starting Score (08/11/11): TU08: 643
Current Score: TU08: 741
Goal Score: Stay in the 700s; keep reports clean

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yea and my Cap1 isnt reporting yet and my gf added me as an AU on her $5000 CL Citicard... Hopefully those will boost the score some. Speaking of which they didnt ask her for anything except for my name? How do they add me as AU without my social and DOB???

Message 3 of 7
Guava
Established Contributor

/shrug Smiley Very Happy I don't know how they do it, but Cap1 will report on your credit report.

Starting Score (08/11/11): TU08: 643
Current Score: TU08: 741
Goal Score: Stay in the 700s; keep reports clean

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I know... I find myself starting an app on a site and closing out before hitting submit lol I like my BofA i just dont like secured and $300 CL.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

i hear you buddy.

im in the same boat. cap 1 $300 rewards card (39 fee), a $1500 secured BoA is in the process of being approved and mailed to me, and i just got the amazon store card $400 CL(still reports but only works on the website).

i want good reward cards with higher CLs, and no annual fees, but i know i need to wait a while. as of right now i plan to wait till the cap 1 is almost a year old, cancel before the fee if they wont waive it, upgrade the BoA to unsecured, hopefully get a CLI, and maybe just maybe get them to PC it to cash rewards. then keep the amazon(no fee) to keep my average age better and get some CLIs because GEMB seems to be good with that.

you just need a plan and to stick with it. wait till your recent inquiries come off in a year and try to get some better cards. i know its tought im only just starting too, but itll be worth it when we get those AMEX, citi, chase, disc cards we want. plus the BoA you have will become a good card in a year. they seem to be good with CLIs and PCs.

Message 6 of 7
CS800
Super Contributor

Patience grasshopper. Let your score go up more by at least 40-50 all across then apply. Take it from me. I was once in the same boat as you.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.