Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Itching to apply

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Itching to apply

Hey all. It's been a while for me. Staying off myfico helps me stay in the garden. But 9 of my 15 inquiries are about to hit that 1 year mark and I'm itching to apply for some prime cards. Just paid down some cc debt from 80% uti to just about 50%. I know my experian is 643 and I can't wait to see what it looks like with those inquiries hitting 1 year. I know, I know, I should stay in the garden.
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Itching to apply

Yes stay in the garden one more year when they fall off your reports 

Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

i don't think you need to stay for another full year but another 3-6 months would probably do some decent good.
Message 3 of 17
jbsea
Established Contributor

i agree with everyone else... I would wait and stay in the garden for at least six more months.  I know it sounds like a long time, but it will go by fast.

Amex Gold / Amex Platinum / Amex Marriott Brilliant/ Amex BCP/ Capital One Venture (AU) / Capital One Savor One/ Discover / NFCU Cash Rewards / BOA Unlimited Cash Rewards / NFCU GO Rewards (AU) / Amex EDP / NFCU Flagship Rewards / Chase Freedom (AU) / Capital One QuickSilver / Citi Costco (AU) / Amex Delta
Message 4 of 17
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Definitely garden more until that util drops to <30%.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 5 of 17
Chris679
Established Contributor

I would advise applying for new cards as a reward when you pay of 100% of your current cc debt.
Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just do what I do with purchases, ask your self two questions.  "Do I really need this now?" and "Can I afford this now?"

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Stick to your goals OP. With that said, gardening and continuing to pay down your debt are not bad ideas. Best of luck!

Message 8 of 17
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes stay in the garden one more year when they fall off your reports 

....or until your utilization gets below 20% ideally below 10% ...whichever comes first Smiley Happy  Do not apply for anything with a 50% util  - you will get a denial or terrible terms if approved. Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 17
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@Chris679 wrote:
I would advise applying for new cards as a reward when you pay of 100% of your current cc debt.

I love that idea Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.